cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floating User Consumption

Hi,

I've linked devices to my IBM floating user license and I see them allocated when I click on the "Show assessment details" under the consumption tab and the assessment result is "consumed". I have the rule "Allocations consume license entitlements".

I was expecting to see the consumption count increase in the "Compliance" tab after a recon, but that didn't happen. Shouldn't I be seeing the consumption count here? Is there anything I should be doing to have this reflected?

(1) Solution
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2019R2/EN/WebHelp/index.html#glossaries/licType_IBMFloatingUser.html#glossentry_20160504_1324

"The Consumed count is not calculated. It may be entered manually or imported through the business importer."

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2019R2/EN/WebHelp/index.html#glossaries/licType_IBMFloatingUser.html#glossentry_20160504_1324

"The Consumed count is not calculated. It may be entered manually or imported through the business importer."

Best regards,

Markward

Hi @sanbeam 

In addition to @mfranz correct comments above I think it is worth highlighting IBM's general definition of Floating User license metric

"Floating user

Floating User is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. A Floating User is a person who is accessing the Program at any particular point in time. An Install is an installed copy of the Program on a physical or virtual disk made available to be executed on a computer. The Program may be installed on any number of computers or servers, but if the Floating User simultaneously accesses more than one Install of the Program, the Floating User requires a separate entitlement for each such Install. Licensee must obtain separate entitlements for each Floating User simultaneously accessing the Program on each Install in any manner directly or indirectly (for example: via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means.

Note: Some programs may be licensed where devices are considered users. In that case the following applies: Any computing device that requests the execution of or receives for execution a set of commands, procedures, or applications from the Program or that is otherwise managed by the Program is considered a separate User of the Program and requires an entitlement as if that device were a person."

https://www.ibm.com/software/passportadvantage/about_software_licensing.html#floating

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

@tivens , thank you for that additional information. It did help me understand the license type better.

However, I was trying to import the consumption value through a business adapter and I don't see it reflecting. I've added the value to the field "Number allocated" in the "Software allocation" object. We have another adapter set up in a similar way. Any suggestions on how I need to set up the adapter for this to work?

Hi,

Allocations would only work if there was a calculation logic based on these allocated users.

2020-06-12_16h55_08.png

I think, you'll have to update the "Consumed entitlements" field directly. In the database that is table "SoftwareTitle_MT", column "NumberInstalled". I couldn't find a matching field in the Business Adapter Studio, so I guess, you'll have to update it using SQL (Custom Query).

Best regards,

Markward

Thank you, @mfranz 

I've been going through some documents in the community and looks like this is only possible if I have the FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications. We have a FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud solution. I'm not entirely sure if this is achievable in our case, I do not have a confirmation.

Unfortunately, the cloud solution won't allow that.

Makes complete sense. Thank you for all the information, @mfranz!