cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexera Analytics - October's Business Case Challenge!

Who's up for a challenge? Join this session (and discussion) to see how you can add value to your organization via Flexera Analytics. This is designed to test (and expand) your knowledge of Flexera Analytics. In 30 minutes we'll demonstrate how you can use Flexera Analytics to support simple data requests. You'll see it demo'ed live and have time for Q and A. To register for this session, click here.

Here's October challenge: Leadership has asked for data to help identify opportunities to reduce their software spend on the top five software vendors. They want the information categorized by vendor and title. How can you use Flexera Analytics to illustrate this information?
(15) Replies
Hi all! I wanted to hear what kind of reports you are being asked to produce by your management, or even for your own teams. I would love to hear some suggestions, and perhaps talk through how some of these reports would be built. Cognos has a great user interface to make it reasonable easy to pick up and start, but sometimes complex to create detailed reports. Thank you!
I am excited to showcase some of the capabilities of Cognos Analytics to everyone. See you in 35 minutes!!!
Can we add our own facts and measures in this Congos instance?
vwonais wrote:
In the Dimensional model, can you access the individual SQL tables, similar to SQL Management Studio?

The dimensional model is meant to be used in the User Interface. For example, in the demo you saw Publisher names. If set up correctly, with the dimensional model, you would be able to drill down into product names within one Publisher. That way, you would know which applications within the Publisher are utilizing your licenses. Please let me know if that helps.
vwonais wrote:
Where can I find the FNMS System Reference.pdf document?

This would be found in the Product License Center, utilizing your community login.

Go here: https://flexeracommunity.force.com/customer
Login
Go to the Downloads link on the bottom left and select the appropriate product.
You will download a zip folder. You will find the PDF within this.
vwonais wrote:
Where can I find the FNMS System Reference.pdf document?

You will find this in the Product Licensing Center - log into your community portal, and go to 'Documentation' on the bottom left. (https://flexeracommunity.force.com/customer)
vwonais wrote:
I would like to create my own SQL view based on specific FNMS tables. Can custom data sources be added?

You are currently limited to the Flexera Data Models that are prepopulated within the included Cognos Analytics capabilities.
vwonais wrote:
How can I get to the data models?

I would review the recording of the session.

In short, once you have opened a new dashboard to start building on, there is a + (plus) sign to the top left that you click, which then allows you to view multiple folders (near 'Select Sources'). In the pop-up, under the team content (folder with two heads), click on Flexera Data Models and 'Add'.
vwonais wrote:
I would like to create my own SQL view based on specific FNMS tables. Can custom data sources be added?

Custom sources cannot be added at this point.
vwonais wrote:
Dashboard themes are part of the install, but report themes are blank. How can the report themes be added?

Report themes are blank by design at the moment. The focus was on developing the dashboarding capability first to differentiate it from legacy FNMS reporting.
vwonais wrote:
I have 2017r2 will the upgrade to the newest 2018r3 be possible? Are there issues I will run into?

There are many factors that play into a smooth upgrade - your hardware specs, the complexity of your environment, product customizations, and the integrations with the product. I encourage you to reach out to our Services team to evaluate your upgrade-readiness.
vwonais wrote:
How do we "publish" this new dashboard for everyone to see?

By clicking on the ellipsis (3 dots) on the top right of your completed dashboard, you can either export to PDF or share the link of that specific report with a user.
vwonais wrote:
Dashboard themes are part of the install, but report themes are blank. How can the report themes be added?

Report themes are blank by design at the moment. The focus was on developing the dashboarding capability first to differentiate it from legacy FNMS reporting.
vwonais wrote:
Can we add our own facts and measures in this Congos instance?

Hi! I would love to get further clarification on this. I best understand this question as you wanting to add your own fields into Cognos from the various FNMS tables. If that is the case, you cannot add any additional fields. The fields available in the Data Models are the only ones that can be used in this instance of Cognos. Please reply back if I have not answered your question.

I hate to be a naysayer, but this reporting for us is kind of useless.  We build complex reports based on the FNMSCompliance dB and the majority of fields needed are not available.  If we cannot connect SQL as a source, then we would have to use a different reporting methodology, such as SSRS, Tableau, etc. 

Does Flexera have plans to allow integration to the direct dB?