sourav_sengupta
Active participant

FlexNet Manager Suite 2019 R2 Database Migration Script Execution Error

Jump to solution

Hi Team,

As a part of the upgrade, we have now started upgrading DBs after completing previous steps.

We logged into Application Server with its admin credentials (i.e. fnms-admin) and run Command Prompt as a different user i.e. DB Admin (-svc-db-fnms) credentials and executed the DB Upgrade/Migration Scripts.

We were able to migrate FNMSInventory Database.

However, while upgrading both FNMSCompliance & FNMSDataWarehouse we are getting some errors, please find the attached screenshot for the same.

Requesting assistance in resolving this issue in order to complete this upgrade activity ASAP. Our Change Request window will end soon.

DB_Script_Execution_Error.jpg

Thanking you in advance!

Regards,
Sourav Sengupta

0 Kudos
2 Solutions
sasikumar_r
Intrepid explorer

Hi Sourav,

Looks like you are trying to migrate the complaince DB with inventorymanagermigration xml file which is wrong. you should use compliancemigration.xml like mentioned below,

mgsDatabaseUpdate.exe -i ComplianceMigration.xml -nsu -l CMmig.log -s <Servername> -d <FNMSComplianceDBNAME> –l CMMig.log 

Thank you

Sasi

View solution in original post

Also, this is a very timely reminder to be sure to do a full dry run of the database migration procedure on copies of the production databases before attempting to migrate the live databases during a production change window. All too often I see database migration problems arising during a production change window for problems which would have been easily observed and worked through before the change window by doing a dry run.

Database migrations can be tricky things to work through (especially if you are migrating across many versions, and/or have different types of specialized data or configuration applied the database), and problems can take some time to diagnose and work through. Doing dry runs of the database migration process ahead of time helps to ensure:

• You know the exact procedure to be followed to achieve a successful migration.
  • You know approximately how long it is going to take.
  • If the process fails due to the nature of data or schema currently in the database then the failure can be worked through in a timely manner without the pressure of having a production change window open.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

3 Replies
sasikumar_r
Intrepid explorer

Hi Sourav,

Looks like you are trying to migrate the complaince DB with inventorymanagermigration xml file which is wrong. you should use compliancemigration.xml like mentioned below,

mgsDatabaseUpdate.exe -i ComplianceMigration.xml -nsu -l CMmig.log -s <Servername> -d <FNMSComplianceDBNAME> –l CMMig.log 

Thank you

Sasi

Also, this is a very timely reminder to be sure to do a full dry run of the database migration procedure on copies of the production databases before attempting to migrate the live databases during a production change window. All too often I see database migration problems arising during a production change window for problems which would have been easily observed and worked through before the change window by doing a dry run.

Database migrations can be tricky things to work through (especially if you are migrating across many versions, and/or have different types of specialized data or configuration applied the database), and problems can take some time to diagnose and work through. Doing dry runs of the database migration process ahead of time helps to ensure:

• You know the exact procedure to be followed to achieve a successful migration.
  • You know approximately how long it is going to take.
  • If the process fails due to the nature of data or schema currently in the database then the failure can be worked through in a timely manner without the pressure of having a production change window open.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for both of your expert observation and help on this regard! 🙂

It did work.

Thanks and regards,

Sourav Sengupta