cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexNet Inventory Agent Vs 3rd Party Agent

Hi Folks,

What are some key differences between FlexNet Inventory Agent and 3rd Party Agent (like SCCM or ILMT) and how FlexNet agent is better than others for inventory gathering.

Will Appreciate your valuable inputs.

Thanks

(3) Solutions

In my experience, the quality of the data in the client environment does not really differ between SCCM and FNMS. The FNMS Agent achieves real added value in the server environment. Because it can read out much more detailed information about SQL Server Edition, Exchange Server, and information about Oracle DBs. But you will get real clarity if you inventory the same device with the different technologies and compare the results.

Best,

Dennis

View solution in original post

In all situations the FNMS agent provides better information for FNMS than any other source. This is because the agent is engineered to only serve FNMS, whereas other agents have other purpses than pure SAM/FNMS.

Few key differences as you request.

1. Recognition that permits bundling accuracy

2. General recognition accuracy (more profound for servers)

3. ILMT sub capacity equivalency functionality

4. Certain discovery options specific

- Major caveat - Flexera is moving to a single agent model across their plethora of technologies. Not much is known about this but it will be pretty innovative and exciting when it does happen.

mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
We have used fnms for more than 10 years within out company. We started with using sccm to get a baseline for both win servers and win clients. Later we started to rollout fnms agent in Linux/oracle environments.

After that it was a turningpoint and we then rollout fnms agents to all windows servers, we still keep sccm as secondary source to verify that agents are running.

The intention for many years was to continue with sccm on win clients, but then we decided that we want to have fnms agent as the primary source for all platforms. Just in a few hours we found compliance issues on the clients which we adressed direct. We have win, mac and linux clients and do not want separate technologies on every platform or legal entity in the world.

Sccm can be configured to catch SQL Server editions.
Fnms are for sure better at Oracle evidences, better support for virtualization technologies, higher quality in usage metering, less performance issues, same “agent” for multiple platforms win, linux, mac, aix

The fnms agent feels a bit old school with .ini files and probably 32 bit for windows, but it really working well and will continue to develop to improve SAM.

(5) Replies

In my experience, the quality of the data in the client environment does not really differ between SCCM and FNMS. The FNMS Agent achieves real added value in the server environment. Because it can read out much more detailed information about SQL Server Edition, Exchange Server, and information about Oracle DBs. But you will get real clarity if you inventory the same device with the different technologies and compare the results.

Best,

Dennis

In all situations the FNMS agent provides better information for FNMS than any other source. This is because the agent is engineered to only serve FNMS, whereas other agents have other purpses than pure SAM/FNMS.

Few key differences as you request.

1. Recognition that permits bundling accuracy

2. General recognition accuracy (more profound for servers)

3. ILMT sub capacity equivalency functionality

4. Certain discovery options specific

- Major caveat - Flexera is moving to a single agent model across their plethora of technologies. Not much is known about this but it will be pretty innovative and exciting when it does happen.

mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
We have used fnms for more than 10 years within out company. We started with using sccm to get a baseline for both win servers and win clients. Later we started to rollout fnms agent in Linux/oracle environments.

After that it was a turningpoint and we then rollout fnms agents to all windows servers, we still keep sccm as secondary source to verify that agents are running.

The intention for many years was to continue with sccm on win clients, but then we decided that we want to have fnms agent as the primary source for all platforms. Just in a few hours we found compliance issues on the clients which we adressed direct. We have win, mac and linux clients and do not want separate technologies on every platform or legal entity in the world.

Sccm can be configured to catch SQL Server editions.
Fnms are for sure better at Oracle evidences, better support for virtualization technologies, higher quality in usage metering, less performance issues, same “agent” for multiple platforms win, linux, mac, aix

The fnms agent feels a bit old school with .ini files and probably 32 bit for windows, but it really working well and will continue to develop to improve SAM.

Thanks @dennis_reinhardt  @Danielwaters  @mag00_75  for your valuable inputs. 
I got some good insight why FlxNet agent is better than the SCCM or other third party agents (specially on Servers)
We are planning to rolloyt the agents on workstations as well very soon.

if anyone else has inputs, feel free to give them here. Would like to learn more on agents.

In response to this thread and other similar questions that have been raised recently (such as here), I've put together the following thoughts: The big choice for gathering inventory: the FlexNet inventory agent or tool "XYZ"?

I hope that's helpful!

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)