cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexNet Inventory Agent Upload Behavior (Adopted vs 3rd Party Installation)

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

I am investigating behavior of some agents we have installed in our environment. I have read through the Gathering FlexNet Inventory guide and I read the following excerpt from the "Adopted" case.

"At installation time, the adopting inventory beacon normally sets itself as the 'bootstrap' inventory beacon for the download of initial policy. Thereafter, the fail-over settings (linked in the downloaded policy) define every available inventory beacon (those with IIS configured for anonymous authentication), and the FlexNet inventory agent may contact the most appropriate one (by default, this is one in the same Active Directory site with the fastest ping response time at each upload time; but if these conditions cannot be met, it may be a random choice). Any inventory beacon will respond to a query from any installed FlexNet inventory agent (and calculate and provide a policy file for it), provided that the system is not in migration mode."

We installed our agents via Blade Logic and used a bootstrap file. That excerpt above does not exist in the 3rd Party section of the Gathering FlexNet Inventory guide, but I'd like to know if the agent behaves the same way.

Should we expect the agent to look for the beacon with the fastest ping time to upload its inventory to, regardless of how we installed it?

(1) Solution
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

As long as you didn't change the agent settings or restricted teh agents to a specific beacon (inventory group settings), it shoud behave the same.

The agent knowning all beacons and deciding on its own is actually a feature, making the process more robust.

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

As long as you didn't change the agent settings or restricted teh agents to a specific beacon (inventory group settings), it shoud behave the same.

The agent knowning all beacons and deciding on its own is actually a feature, making the process more robust.

Best regards,

Markward

Thanks @mfranz! This was my assumption, but I wanted to verify.