cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexNet Agent versus SCCM for Desktop Inventory

Is there a documented list of benefits (Pro/Con) of using the FlexNet Agent on Desktops versus SCCM?   

(1) Solution

In response to this thread and other similar questions that have been raised recently, I've put together the following thoughts: The big choice for gathering inventory: the FlexNet inventory agent or tool "XYZ"?

I hope that's helpful!

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

Hi @winvarma,  thanks for the response.

I did review that thread but the comments were generally server related and from a year ago.  At one time I saw a document from Flexera that outlined the benefits of using their Agent versus SCCM which included desktops.   I'm hoping to get some comments directly related to desktops.

Hi Adam,

It is really hard to give a general recommendation, although Flexera will, of course tend to their agent. Just some points:

• Software usage metering has really caught up lately. So if that's a focus point for you > FNMS Agent
  • I've seen smart SCCM customizations at some of my customers' systems. This is data, the FNMS agent cannot deliver > SCCM
  • Deploying the FNMS Agent (and keeping it running) is a process, it will cost time and therefore money (on an ongoing bassis). Assuming SCCM is already deployed > SCCM

Evidence data for desktop applications is pretty much the same.

Best regards,

Markward

@adamgalbreath - Here are some specific cases of advanced inventory using the FlexNet Agent on a Windows Desktop that other discovery tools (such as SCCM) do not capture without a large amount of customization (or cannot capture).  The following assumes you are using the latest FNMS Cloud agent.

- Identify edition of Adobe Acrobat DC

- Identify edition of Microsoft SQL Server

- Identify edition of Quest Toad for Oracle

- Map Microsoft Hyper-V guest VMs to the Hyper-V Host

- Identify if the licensable Extension Pack of Oracle VirtualBox is installed

To chime in abit, I've recently learned that if obtaining the Cloud Service provider info (Microsoft Azure) is important for your environment, this also cannot be achieved with just the sccm agent.

In response to this thread and other similar questions that have been raised recently, I've put together the following thoughts: The big choice for gathering inventory: the FlexNet inventory agent or tool "XYZ"?

I hope that's helpful!

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)