cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexNet Agent on Mac OS

We recently purchased a couple Mac laptops and would like to install the FlexNet agent on them. I know we had some issues when we first tried this back in 2015, but maybe things have changed. I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

Does the agent require root level authority in order to run?

If not, what are the steps to install the agent on a Mac so that it runs an inventory and reports back to the beacon?

Thanks,
Jason

(1) Solution
tbesse
By
Flexera Alumni

Hello,

The Gathering Inventory guide in Flexera Helpnet has all the details you need:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/EN/WebHelp/PDF%20Documents/On-Prem/GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf

There are lots of references to the Mac version in the doc, it is basically only a flavour of our UNIX & Linux agent. I recommend you have a look at the doc and search for Mac OS in there, then skip through the list of results. 

On the -NIX platforms sudo or root privileges are required to perform the kind of introspection the agent is executing. In this the Mac agent is no different from the other -NIX versions.

Best regards
Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
tbesse
By
Flexera Alumni

Hello,

The Gathering Inventory guide in Flexera Helpnet has all the details you need:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms2019r1/EN/WebHelp/PDF%20Documents/On-Prem/GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf

There are lots of references to the Mac version in the doc, it is basically only a flavour of our UNIX & Linux agent. I recommend you have a look at the doc and search for Mac OS in there, then skip through the list of results. 

On the -NIX platforms sudo or root privileges are required to perform the kind of introspection the agent is executing. In this the Mac agent is no different from the other -NIX versions.

Best regards
Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)

Hi

The FlexNet agent requires root-level authority. 

The FlexNet inventory agent must run as root to install and run its services on the local device.
The security settings for subdirectories of /opt/managesoft:
• The lib and libexec folders are completely locked down to root only.
• The bin folder is open to all, to allow easy access to the path of the executables in the folder when using privilege escalation tools like sudo.
• The executables in the bin folder are locked down to root only.
• documentation and software tag are readable by all.
The /var/opt/managesoft directory is only accessible by root.