cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexNet Agent on EC2 gathering AccountID?

Want to put this out to the community to see if i'm missing something.  I'm reading that the agent installed on EC2 gathers "enhanced information":

Inventory Adapters and Connectors Reference FlexNet Manager Suite 2021 R1 - Appendix 3: Enhanced Inventory Gathered by Agent (flexera.com)

the URLs contained within the above show how to grab instance information:

http://169.254.169.254/latest/dynamic/instance-identity/document

On an instance--i can navigate to that and get the JSON that shows me the information i want---"AccountID" being one of them.  

Also found this post along the same lines--except this was for potential issue with being recognized as an Amazon EC2...which not a problem i'm having.

AWS servers hosted in is showing on-premise by FlexNet Inventory agent - Community (flexera.com)

Eventhough the information is available---it's still not pulling the AccountID into the inventory and providing it back to FNM.  This single piece of information alone would be very helpful, and i thought i'd heard that the newest version of the agent would grab that information.

Note: I know that this info would be available if we have the Amazon AWS connector in place---we have a "tug of war" going on over here where they do not want us to have that access, so we're stuck with this.   Some of the ways we build the association to various cost centers would be made easier with this single piece of information.   

(1) Solution

Yes, you need to upgrade the backend so that when the metadata from the NDI is parsed (it is base64 encoding in the MGS_CloudMetada section) the accountId item is imported.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

So the agent i'm running on the systems is 2022R2, but it's reporting back to 2021 R1 at the moment.    Upgrade of the servers is pending some red tape....i figured i'd see the account ID info in the NDI file...but maybe that was too hopeful.  The backend is the piece i'm missing here i guess?

Yes, you need to upgrade the backend so that when the metadata from the NDI is parsed (it is base64 encoding in the MGS_CloudMetada section) the accountId item is imported.