cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File format of result files from Flexnet agent

Hi,

I'm looking for information about the scan files from FlexNet agent.

On my FNMS application server in the inventories folder I find files like

- ....(Full).ndi.gz

- ....(Oracle).ndi.gz

Are these the result files from a scanned server ?

What could be the problem, if I find these files in the inventories folder (date of today, 07:06a.m.) but don't find the server in the FNMS GUI (date of today, noon-time) ?

Thanks for your feedback

Uwe

(1) Solution
@UweSieber - as @kclausen rightly mentions, you will not see the devices show up in the UI until the nightly reconciliation job has completed.

By default, this runs at 2AM each day. This process is responsible for importing the data from the inventory database and writing it (amongst other data) into the final tables in the Compliance database.

The folder you've shown indicates that the .NDI has been placed there by enabling replication in IIS - so that tells us that the file has, at the very least, reached the web server on your application server.

You could check to see if the device exists in the inventory database by running the following query against it:

SELECT * FROM Computer WHERE ComputerCN = 'DeviceName'

If it is not there, then I would advise you to check the dispatcher.log on your application server under C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\WebResolvers, to see if there was an error during the import into the inventory database.

If it is in the inventory database, then you can move a step forward and make a similar check in the ImportedComputer staging table in the Compliance database:

SELECT * FROM ImportedComputer WHERE ComputerName = 'DeviceName'

That should give you an idea of where the break in the chain happens.

HTH,
Joseph
If my response answered your question satisfactorily, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to heighten visibility for future customers!

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
Hello @UweSieber,

You are correct, the .NDI files are generated as a result of the inventory process carried out by the agent (or by a Discovery & Inventory rule).

If you see files within C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories on your application server, then they are most likely waiting to be processed into the Inventory database.

There is a scheduled task named 'Import inventories', which runs by default every 10 minutes of the day, which invokes mgsimport.exe to process the files into the inventory database. The exact command used is as follows:

ShadowHostWin.exe mgsimport.exe -o CREATE_NO_WINDOW=True -- -t inventories

HTH,
Joseph
If my response answered your question satisfactorily, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to heighten visibility for future customers!

Hi Joseph,

just one more question.

The folder C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories is empty.

The result files for the searched device are in D:\FlexNet_Replication\inventories\inventories but the server is not listed in "All inventory".

Do you have any idea.

If you don't have an idea,  I will open a support case.

Thanks

Uwe

@UweSieber  - Once the incoming inventory files are processed on the application server, they are imported into the FNMSInventory database.

You will not see them in the User Interface until the next day, after your nightly Compliance/Reconciliation Import task runs

@UweSieber - as @kclausen rightly mentions, you will not see the devices show up in the UI until the nightly reconciliation job has completed.

By default, this runs at 2AM each day. This process is responsible for importing the data from the inventory database and writing it (amongst other data) into the final tables in the Compliance database.

The folder you've shown indicates that the .NDI has been placed there by enabling replication in IIS - so that tells us that the file has, at the very least, reached the web server on your application server.

You could check to see if the device exists in the inventory database by running the following query against it:

SELECT * FROM Computer WHERE ComputerCN = 'DeviceName'

If it is not there, then I would advise you to check the dispatcher.log on your application server under C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\WebResolvers, to see if there was an error during the import into the inventory database.

If it is in the inventory database, then you can move a step forward and make a similar check in the ImportedComputer staging table in the Compliance database:

SELECT * FROM ImportedComputer WHERE ComputerName = 'DeviceName'

That should give you an idea of where the break in the chain happens.

HTH,
Joseph

is ".log" format is correct to upload in incoming inventory folder??? 

Files in the C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories directory should normally have an extension of .ndi or .ndi.gz.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)