Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False positives on Oracle middleware products

Ronny_OO7
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

Hello Everyone,

At several customers we have noticed False installations of Oracle middle ware products. The customers are using FNMS2019R2 or higher.

After investigating the root cause is found in the inventory.xml and comps.xml, 

Inventory agent interrogates inventory.xml and comps.xml, these xml's provide installer evidence for installed components.
Oracle usually take backup these XML and also put them under backup folder and xml's files in the backup folder can lead to obsolete installed component information that was installed at some point but not anymore.
In inventory agent version 2019 R2 and later, a change is made to exclude components XML files under backup folders that will help to automatically exclude evidence collection from backup folders.

unfortunate we still see many different inventory and comps.xml on systems with False information about installed Oracle products.

I am wondering are there any other people experiencing the same issue? As I would expect more customers to have this issue as for example the xml files are also being created with patches and updates.

Regards

Ronald 

(2) Replies

Hi Ronald,

I have similar challenges at multiple customers. It is almost impossible using the inventory.xml and comps.xml for a reliable source of evidence due to all the backup, patches and other directories.

Using file evidence excludes, the number of false positives were reduced but some still remain.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your response. This is also my approach, but this is not perfect. Also Flexera stated that there are no other customers know to be effected. That is why I raised this post. Can you share your Flexera case nrs by email with me? Regards
Ronald