cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to run importer - Login failed

Hi,

I just tried to import the latest ActiveDirectory data (users) using the FlexNet Beacon.

This has worked, but the data has not been imported and is saved to the BadLogs folder.

I have found the dispatcher log and in it I see the same error message every 10 minutes:

Dispatcher ] Failed to run importer
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user

The user is a local Windows user, as far as I can tell.

How (and where) can I change the credentials that the importer uses to connect to the database?

(1) Solution

When you try to add operators in FNMS, the search field refers to the internal user list (All users = ComplianceUser_MT). While it is technically not a requirement, FNMS makes it an operational requirement. If you user is not imported and showing in the Webui, it won't be offered for account creation. That's why I think you'll need to run the import.

TL;DR: 1. Run the complete import, 2. check if you users are found under "All users", 3. now you should be able to find these accounts to add operators/admins.

View solution in original post

(10) Replies

when FNMS is installed---all of these import jobs are typically configured as scheduled tasks with a particular account used to run them.  Check your scheduled tasks and verify the account being used.    

Thanks for the quick reply.

The only scheduled task that seems related to Flexera (Flexera_schedule) runs once a week under a different account. The error messages in the dispatcher log are every 10 minutes. I don't see a job that would qualify.

Alternatively: is there another way to (perhaps manually) add a user? 

Hi @jhofstede ,

if you are aware of the username and password edit  the current domain connection in beacon > active directory and update the details and execute the connection. 

Thanks,

But that is not the issue. The Beacon connects to the AD and pulls the data. The issue is that the importer uses a wrong account to connect to the database. 

If it's the webserver (IIS) trying to digest the data directly, you should check your IIS application pools' identities, probably Flexera Importers.

Thanks. That was an area I had not looked at yet.

I have found that all application pools in IIS have the service account that should be used. To be sure, I have re-entered the username and password, but unfortunately no change.

The user that I find in the dispatcher log that tries to connect to the database is domain\SA-FlexeraScanner.

I'd like to change that username to the service account, but since I could not find where to set this user, I have added this user as a login in the database. 

That has resolved the login error in the dispatcher log.

But....

The user I wanted to add is still not available in the UI (Accounts, create account, interactive account). Also other users that are new to the organisation cannor be selected.

I can't find any logging that tells me what has gone wrong and I have seen a huge file as a result from the AD import that disappeared after the importer had started. And it is not in the Bad Logs / Failures.

Anyone any idea why my AD import seems to have been succesful, but without any results?

Have you run a complete import (Inventory Import & License Reconcile) since then? Because digesting Beacon AD data will only put it in the Inventory database. The ManageSoft Reader should bring your users to ImportedUser (FNMSCompliance) and then the Writer will finally make them ComplianceUsers

Thanks again for your reply.

No, I have not.

To be clear: I am trying to add an administrator (not an end-user that has a device). 

I have imported the latest AD data and was expecting that I would be able to select the user to give the role of admin.
But the user can not be selected and I can't find any error for the AD data import.

When you try to add operators in FNMS, the search field refers to the internal user list (All users = ComplianceUser_MT). While it is technically not a requirement, FNMS makes it an operational requirement. If you user is not imported and showing in the Webui, it won't be offered for account creation. That's why I think you'll need to run the import.

TL;DR: 1. Run the complete import, 2. check if you users are found under "All users", 3. now you should be able to find these accounts to add operators/admins.

You are a star!
This was the final step in making it work.

Thank you so much!