cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMSCompliance Transaction log is growing up

Hello

We found out that the transaction log in FlexNetManager on Prem 2019R2 is very large, almost 1 TB. What can we do to minimize this? (See the Atachment).

Thnaks for your alway Professional Answers.

Thank You very Much from Switzerland (FHNW Higher Education Team SAM)

(2) Solutions
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

One cause of a transaction log growing massively large would be that the transaction log is not being backed up on a regular basis. The transaction log in a SQL Server database (when configured in "Full" recovery mode) will grow indefinitely if it is never backed up. So perhaps verify the last time the log as backed up. After backing up the log, you will likely need to shrink the log file if you want to free up the disk space.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

You also have the option of setting the database recovery mode to "Simple" rather then "Full" which will reduce the size of the LOG file.

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

One cause of a transaction log growing massively large would be that the transaction log is not being backed up on a regular basis. The transaction log in a SQL Server database (when configured in "Full" recovery mode) will grow indefinitely if it is never backed up. So perhaps verify the last time the log as backed up. After backing up the log, you will likely need to shrink the log file if you want to free up the disk space.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

You also have the option of setting the database recovery mode to "Simple" rather then "Full" which will reduce the size of the LOG file.

Thank you both for the quick replies. The transaction log backup helped. Now the Tansaction log no longer grows. 

The database recovery mode is still Full.