cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMS Inventory Beacon - auto upgrade failes

Since the release of FNMS 2019 R2, we have had problems with the automatic update of the Inventory Beacons.
After a successful update of the FNMS application to a new release, we have enabled the update for the Inventory Beacons. However, the Beacons cannot download the upgrade packages, including the packages for the Inventory Agents. According to the logs on the Beacon and the PackageRetriver log, the download of the upgrade packages from the Processing Server is successful.

2020-08-17_11h49_13.png

After that the beacon looks for the Upgrade.xml file, which triggers the actual update process. This file should normally be located at "C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Staging\Common\Packages\Flexera\Upgrade\15.0.0\Rev1.0\Flexera Inventory Beacon Upgrade\". However, this file and the other sources are not available. Only a 0 KB GZ file is created in the folder structure.

2020-08-17_12h00_14.png

Since the beacon cannot complete the update process, it is stuck in a loop and cannot perform other tasks, e.g. importing data from SCCM.

2020-08-17_10h12_50.png

Workaround: Manually copy the upgrade packages from the Processing Server to the Inventory Beacons in the path "C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Staging\Common\Packages\Flexera\Upgrade\15.0.0\Rev1.0\".

After an update from FNMS 2019 R2 to 2020 R1, this problem still exists or better said, it exists again. The Flexera Support could not help us until now. We have already received information from several customers and partners that they are also struggling with this problem.

My question to the community: Does anyone here already have to deal with similar issues? If so, have you been able to develop a solution for the problem?

Many thanks and best regards

Alex

(1) Solution

@Liebi123,

For the On-Prem case, it looks like this is likely caused by not installing all of the features available during the beacon install. The "Inventory agent for managed devices" feature must be selected in order for the packages to download correctly and completely. Run the beacon install again and ensure that ALL features are selected for installation in that Custom Setup dialog.

This feature can be selected from the "Custom Setup" dialog in the installer, see screenshot below.

This should enable all of the beacon upgrade files to be downloaded to the 'Package/Flexera/Upgrade/[VERSION]/Rev1.0/Flexera Inventory Beacon Upgrade/Flexera Inventory Beacon Upgrade' folder and therefore allow the self-upgrade to continue successfully.

Regards,

Sheryl

(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

View solution in original post

(18) Replies

Hi Alexander,

we do have the same issue on our side.

Only solution is to copy the packages manually as you described.

btw. we also have a case open for it but with no solution til now

best regards,

Matthias

Hi ,

Facing similar issue on a beacon related to cloud setup.

No update from support on the case raised.

regards

Winvarma

Hi i am facing similar issue. Where can i get the packages maunally so that I can paste it in desired location.
Hi i am facing similar issue. Where can i get the packages maunally so that I can paste it in desired location.

Hi,

the packages are located on the Processing or Parent Beacon server under "C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Warehouse\Repository\Packages\Flexera\Upgrade".

Cheers

Alex

Hi @Liebi123 ,

will theses files be helpful for cloud based setup as well where in we can copy the packages from on-prem to cloud beacon as a work around?

One more thing observed is that we are facing this issue in EU cloud setup only and not sure if its because of this reason Flexera didn't roll out 2020 R1.1 to NAM cloud??

Regards,

Winvarma

Hi,

the initial Problem has been determined on an on-premise environment.

I'm not sure if the workaround (mentioned here) will help on a cloud-based environment, too.

If you're facing issue with updating your cloud-based solution, you should ask Flexera-support and open up a case for it.

best regards,

Matthias

I am facing this issue in EU cloud environment too.

Hi All,

The problem is fixed now. You should be able to auto-upgrade to the latest beacon in the EU Prod Environment. 

Thanks!

Thank you Alpesh for the update. I can confirm the issue has been resolved. We were facing this issue with two different customers. and the issue has been resolved for both customers 🙂
Hi Alpesh,
is there a date when the fix for FNMS on-premise will be available?

Hello,

can you give a little more insight?

what has been done to fix the issue?

regards,

Matthias

Hi,

It was a server side issue, where a redundant file presence was causing issues with downloading the beacon. The issue was only seen in the EU Prod instance.

There was no bug with the beacon auto-upgrade package and so, the issue seen with the OnPrem Fnms setup is unrelated. Please continue working with Support to find a resolution for the OnPrem setup.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

@Liebi123,

For the On-Prem case, it looks like this is likely caused by not installing all of the features available during the beacon install. The "Inventory agent for managed devices" feature must be selected in order for the packages to download correctly and completely. Run the beacon install again and ensure that ALL features are selected for installation in that Custom Setup dialog.

This feature can be selected from the "Custom Setup" dialog in the installer, see screenshot below.

This should enable all of the beacon upgrade files to be downloaded to the 'Package/Flexera/Upgrade/[VERSION]/Rev1.0/Flexera Inventory Beacon Upgrade/Flexera Inventory Beacon Upgrade' folder and therefore allow the self-upgrade to continue successfully.

Regards,

Sheryl

(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

@SherylSikora 

Thank you very much for the feedback. We will try the reinstallation with the agent features.

What if the customer does not want to use an agent on the beacon? Can auto-updates not be performed on such beacons?

Regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,

The agent components are an integral part of the beacon, and should almost always be installed. These components are core to the beacon self-upgrade process, and are also (I think!) used for uploading some types of files to the beacon's parent.

I don't recall ever personally coming across a real world situation where it has been appropriate to not install the agent components on a beacon. In theory I guess this might be relevant to do if you're installing a beacon that will only ever be used to perform a specific subset of its normal functions and you know those functions don't involve any of the agent components. For example, you might get away without having these components installed on a beacon that is used to extract data from data sources without having a direct connection configured to a parent beacon.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)