cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMS Beacon/Agent Port change

We have a client that has a need to configure a child beacon to communicate over a different port than standard. Trying to find out if anyone has done this before to share their experience before too many cycles are spent trying to prove this out. In addition to the child beacon to the parent, agents to the child beacon.

(1) Solution
Further to the previous comments, on the parent server you update the bindings in IIS to accept on a different port then on the child you can manually configure the URLs it uses and the port can be modified there.

If you need further clarification please post back and I’ll see if we have some screenshots available.
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

This would likely require that IIS on the inventory beacon be reconfigured to accept connections on a different port.

I agree. Any time we use a non-standard port we use IIS instead of the built in web service of the Beacon.
Further to the previous comments, on the parent server you update the bindings in IIS to accept on a different port then on the child you can manually configure the URLs it uses and the port can be modified there.

If you need further clarification please post back and I’ll see if we have some screenshots available.
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

Thanks all. We are working with a DoD customer that wanted to isolate traffic and wanted some official verbiage stating the directions of communication required for purpose of opening up the firewall. This forum helped. I changed the IIS bindings, and updated the config file on the child beacon to reflect the parent port change. After everything was restarted the child was reporting status to parent which to me meant a successful test.

It sounds like you may have what you need now, but if you want something more formal in relation to the direction of connections, take a look at the following online help topic: Ports and URLs for Inventory Beacons

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)