cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Extract data from VMware Player

Hello Everyone,

As we know, it possible to extract virtualization data from vCenter using inventory rules, but I was wondering if something similar is possible for VMWare Player (also known as Workstation Player).

We have some users that setup VMs on their workstations, but we do not have the link  between the two. In result those VMs are showing up in all inventory with an error.

Is there any way to extract such data automatically?

Kind regards,

Jan

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
VMware vCenter provides an API to extract information about hosts and VMs that are managed through vCenter. Unfortunately VMware Player provides no similar interface, and so the virtual inventory gathering capabilities in FlexNet are not able to find or extract information from VMware Player.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
VMware vCenter provides an API to extract information about hosts and VMs that are managed through vCenter. Unfortunately VMware Player provides no similar interface, and so the virtual inventory gathering capabilities in FlexNet are not able to find or extract information from VMware Player.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thank you for addressing this so quickly!

Hi Chris,
Hi Jan,

One addition: I can find something about APIs for both, VMware Workstation Pro and Player.

Maybe there is a chance for some customization.