cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error for invalid format(.ndi file)

Dear,

I would like to ask anyone who can validate whether attached files are invalid.

my result from FNMS importing and reconciliation was 'invalid format error', anyone who can hlep me to correct these files?

the oracle database version is 8i and inventoried by oratrack.

I'll attach the .ndi files via replying

regards,

gotqcorp

(2) Solutions
Yes, I would say in the absence of other constraints it is generally best to use the beacon with appropriate credentials configured in the password store to gather inventory from Oracle Database 8i. You will need a beacon version 2018 R2 or later in order to avoid the problem IOJ-1861640. (For newer Oracle versions it is better to use the FlexNet inventory agent, but that approach doesn't work for the older Oracle 8i version.)

You will need an Oracle driver version installed on the beacon that is able to connect to Oracle Database 8i. I vaguely recall hearing that Oracle don't provide a single driver version that works for all Oracle Database versions from 8i through to current versions. So if you are wanting to use the beacon approach to gather Oracle Database inventory from both 8i and newer versions you may need to use a couple of beacons: one beacon with an old Oracle driver that is able to connect to Oracle Database 8i, and another beacon with a newer Oracle driver that is able to connect to newer Oracle Database versions.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

@gotqcorp 

If you're still having issue discovering your Oracle 8i from the beacon I would recommend you open a support case to get assistance troubleshooting it. Please inform the community about your findings when you get it resolved if you think other members can benefit from them.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

(9) Replies

[Removed attachment that contains potentially sensitive data]

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
I can confirm that the NDI file is invalid. I'm guessing this may be due to Issue Number IOJ-1861640 ("Japanese characters are garbled in Oracle NDI file (direct collection via Beacon)") shown as being fixed a few years ago in https://docs.flexera.com/fnms2018r2/onpremises/FlexNet%20Manager%20Suite%20Release%20Notes%202018%20R2.pdf.

You may have better luck using a current version of the beacon (anything from the 2018 R2 version onwards) to gather Oracle Database inventory here.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Dear Chris,
Thank you for your replying.
I'm attaching another one for you to review.

I used oratrack with oracle client 8.1.7 version rather than FNMS beacon.

Do you mean it's better to use FNMS2018R2 or above with beacon with password store?

Then, how about ODAC version. I experienced that the ODAC11.2 didn't work for 8i.

Regrads,
gotqcorp

[Removed attachment that contains potentially sensitive data]

Yes, I would say in the absence of other constraints it is generally best to use the beacon with appropriate credentials configured in the password store to gather inventory from Oracle Database 8i. You will need a beacon version 2018 R2 or later in order to avoid the problem IOJ-1861640. (For newer Oracle versions it is better to use the FlexNet inventory agent, but that approach doesn't work for the older Oracle 8i version.)

You will need an Oracle driver version installed on the beacon that is able to connect to Oracle Database 8i. I vaguely recall hearing that Oracle don't provide a single driver version that works for all Oracle Database versions from 8i through to current versions. So if you are wanting to use the beacon approach to gather Oracle Database inventory from both 8i and newer versions you may need to use a couple of beacons: one beacon with an old Oracle driver that is able to connect to Oracle Database 8i, and another beacon with a newer Oracle driver that is able to connect to newer Oracle Database versions.

Hi Christ, I tried the way you have mentioned. now I'm facing error as following(there was no SCAN/VIP configuration, it's direct IP address set to instance)

Failed to query 2 out of the 2 Oracle services attempted., Type: OracleInventoryService, Result: Failed, Status: OracleInventoryServiceFailed, Duration: 0.15, StartDateTime: 2020-06-05T16:30:50, IsSkippedTask: false, IsDiscoveryTask: false, Parameter: webedi2/webedi2, Parameter: 1521, Message: Failed to open connection to database service webedi2 on port 1521, error 0x80004005, Message: Connection failed and instance name was specified. If this host belongs to a cluster, the instance may be on a different host in the cluster. In this case, to avoid this error, specify the Single Client Access Name (SCAN) name/VIP rather than the host name/VIP., Message: Error 0x80004005 "ORA-06413: Connection not open." occurred while attempting to access "OraOLEDB"., Message: Failed to connect to the database, using connection string "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 210.92.54.10)(PORT = 1521))(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = webedi2)(SERVER=dedicated)));"., Message: Error 0x80004005 from OraOLEDB (SQL state: , Error number: 6413): ORA-06413: Connection not open., Message: Failed to connect to the database, using connection string "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 210.92.54.10)(PORT = 1521))(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = webedi2)(INSTANCE_NAME = webedi2)(SERVER=dedicated)));".

@gotqcorp 

If you're still having issue discovering your Oracle 8i from the beacon I would recommend you open a support case to get assistance troubleshooting it. Please inform the community about your findings when you get it resolved if you think other members can benefit from them.

Thanks,

@gotqcorp - If you already have the 11.2 ODAC Driver installed on a Beacon, then you must install/configure an additional Beacon with the old 8i ODAC Driver and use that Beacon to target inventory for your Oracle 8i database server.