cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error for Oracle Inventory

Hi guys,

I'm trying Oracle Inventory with standalone scanning on Solaris SPARC.

But there was an error gcc library error when i ran ./ndtrack on /libexec so I just tried to run ./ndtrack on /bin folder but there were very small sized Oracle.ndi.gz and tracker.log stated log as following

=====================================================

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} ===== Discovered Oracle database instances and listeners

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} +-- "/oracle/app/oracle/product/920": Discovered by = Oratab, Executable ID = 0:0, DBA group = "dba", Home owner = "", Has SQLPlus = false, SQLNet Authentication Services = "", Can Inventory = false, Real Home = ""

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} |   +-- Instance "KKKDB": Discovered by = Oratab, Process ID = 0, State = unknown, Process owner = "<N/A>"

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} +-- "/oracle/app/oracle/product/816": Discovered by = Process,Environment, Executable ID = 34078720:1533444, DBA group = "dba", Home owner = "oracle", Has SQLPlus = true, SQLNet Authentication Services = "", Can Inventory = true, Real Home = ""

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} |   +-- Instance "KKKDB": Discovered by = Process, Process ID = 3067, State = running, Process owner = "oracle"

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} |   +-- Listener "LISTENER": User = "oracle", Discovered by = Process.

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} WARNING: The SQLPlus command was not found in Oracle home "/oracle/app/oracle/product/920".

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} WARNING: Did not detect instance "KTEDI1" in "/oracle/app/oracle/product/920" to be in a running state.

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} Oracle database instances were discovered for inventory.  Executing inventory queries on database instances.

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} Started tracking Oracle instance "KKKDB" in "/oracle/app/oracle/product/816".

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} |   The 'VersionNumber' Oracle database query failed to return a result.

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} Failed to inventory Oracle instance "KKKDB" in "/oracle/app/oracle/product/816".

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} Oracle inventory queries on database instances are complete.

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} Finished tracking Oracle database instances using inventory recognition rules

[Fri May 22 16:09:58 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} Started tracking Oracle listeners

[Fri May 22 16:09:59 2020 (G, 0)] {1697} Finished tracking Oracle listeners

==================================================

regards,

gotqcorp

(16) Replies

Hi @gotqcorp ,

What oracle version do you have on machine? As far as I remember Oracle 9 is not supported by the Flexera agent, the inventory must be done remote from beacon.

@adrian_ritz1 - I suspect you may be thinking of Oracle Database 8i, which must be inventoried using a direct connection from a beacon rather than using the FlexNet agent.

But you may be on the right path here: the home directory of the instance KKKDB is "/oracle/app/oracle/product/816", so if the "8" in this path is indicative that the Oracle version is indeed 8i then that would indeed explain why the agent is not gathering Oracle inventory. Use the beacon inventory gathering capability instead for that scenario.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG , you are right, I was thinking at Oracle 8, typo error 🙂

Yes Chris, you are right.
Can you please let me know how to use direct connection from beacon? You meant that password store?
regards,
gotqcorp

Hi @gotqcorp,

See attached - specifically, section 'Direct Collection of Oracle Inventory' on page 218.

HTH,

Joseph

If my response answered your question satisfactorily, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to heighten visibility for future customers!

Hi @gotqcorp ,

To summarize what you need to do:

1. Create a service account with ready only rights on the database

2.  Create on beacon server in password the service account with type Oracle inventory

3. Create a tnsname.ora file with connection configuration for your database or in WebUI in Discovered devices, search for your server and configure there the oracle database with SID, ports, etc

4. Create a target that contain you servers

5. Assign the subnet of the device to your beacon server that will carry the audit.

6. Create a new rule that will do the audit, checking the oracle part

7. You can check if the port is open between your beacon and oracle server, if the port is closed, you will need to open in firewall.

I know it's complicated, but with this old database you don't have other solution.

Hi Adrian, thank you so much for replying.
Do you mean that the step 2 is to create an credential type of "account on oracle" in the password store on beacon ui?

Regards,
gotqcorp

@gotqcorp ,

Yes, in the password store, on beacon UI, you create the service account and on type you chose the Oracle one.

Hi Adrian, I just understood.
Thank you so much for your kind explanation.
One thing I would like to aks you about the correct version of ODAC which can work for oracle database 8i correctly.
I have tried to inventory with using oratrack with installing ODAC 11.2XXX version but there was an error with messages. Do I need to restart after ODAC installation?
all information was correct in oratrack.ini file.
Regards,
gotqcorp

Hi @gotqcorp ,

I don't know if your version 11.2 works with an so old database. But under the following link you can find a compatibility matrix for your product:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_oracle_client_versions_higher_lower_database_release.htm

I think you should check with your DBA team and ask them to provide an compatible version.

@gotqcorp  - You may find the following documentation to be helpful.  Go to page 218 in this System Reference Guide, which provides an overview on performing Direct Collection of Oracle Inventory as described by @adrian_ritz1.  This requires you to install Oracle ODAC drivers on a beacon, define a target Oracle Server/Listener to connect to (by supplying a TNSNAMES.ORA file), and an Oracle DB User Account for that instance with the required rights to run all of the LMS Scripts.  Through the Beacon, FNMS will then connect to that Oracle DB Instance with the Oracle Logon/Password that you enter on the beacon, and then directly run the LMS Scripts.

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2019R2/EN/WebHelp/PDF%20Documents/On-Prem/FNMSSystemReference.pdf

Dear kclausen,
Thank you for your replying. It would be good to understand but I'm still wondering about which version of ODAC and FNMS for oracle 8i should be correct. It would be good if you can help me more.

Regards,
gotqcorp
Dear, finally I can say the problem was oracle database access client to support to connect oracle 8i.

I think that direct Inventory is also using this client. Right?
Now 8i need specific version of odac rather than odac 11.2.

Do you know which version can support 8i correctly?

Regards,
gotqcorp
Hi Adrian, it is oracle database 8i.
Regards,
gotqcorp

@gotqcorp 

KKKDB ((path: /oracle/app/oracle/product/816)

It seems to be a Oracle 8i database which is not supported by the agent and requires direct inventory beacon connection.

The message  "The 'VersionNumber' Oracle database query failed to return a result." is also for me the usual indicator for an version 8i.

KTEDI1 (path /oracle/app/oracle/product/920)

This one seems to be an Oracle 9i database

It it shows 2 issues for that one.

1. WARNING: The SQLPlus command was not found in Oracle home "/oracle/app/oracle/product/920".

2. WARNING: Did not detect instance "KTEDI1" in "/oracle/app/oracle/product/920" to be in a running state.

Those 2 warnings should be checked.

Regards,

Alexander

Hi Alexander, yes it is oracle database 8i.
I would like to know how to inventory with direct connection from beacon.
Could you please help me understand how to?
Regards,
gotqcorp