kclausen
Flexera
Flexera

Re: ESX Query tool working and vCenter Discovery & Inventory not

Jump to solution

@romanmensch  - When connecting to vCenter, you will not see the individual VMs under an ESX Host until hardware/software inventory from the VM is received - either from a 3rd-party tool such as SCCM, or from the FlexNet Agent.

romanmensch
Active participant

Re: ESX Query tool working and vCenter Discovery

Jump to solution
I guess that's it, thank you. In another cluster, we probably get all information from the SCCM or because the Flexera agent is installed on the VM's.
DiannaB
Active participant

Jump to solution

Hi @sasikumar_r ,

At the time, we had not noticed the scheduled tasks getting disabled on the Winserver 2019 beacon where our Vcenter rules are configured.  We ended up re-imaging to Win Server 2016 because we were losing time and that was suggested by the consultant we were working with.  As it turns out, I believe 2019 would have been okay if we had spent more time diagnosing root cause.  I now believe that Symantec's IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) was killing our beacon traffic.   On our new Win 2016 beacons we discovered that pings would stop working for 5-10 minutes while IPS "locked" us out.  Once we got an exception added, we were back in business.  So maybe check with your Security team to see if that could be occurring.   

We have seen our scheduled tasks go disabled on our Win 2016 beacons so we followed this suggestion to resolve that issue:  Beacon scheduled tasks disabled

We monitor that file now and alarm if it disappears so we catch it faster. 

Dianna

sasikumar_r
Intrepid explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @DiannaB ,

We had the same issue on one of our Win2019 server, Scheduled tasks get disabled and discovery rules & inventory rules generating only discovery log.

Also we noticed npcap missing error message on the event viewer.  When ever the discovery rule is running npcap error exception get added into the event viewer log. 

i have created the attached batch file to check the availability of npcap once in a week and if it is missing it will copy it to the temp location. Soon after that task disabling issue and discovery rule issue is not appearing on the Windows 2019 server.

Thank you

Sasi

ChrisG
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing your batch script @sasikumar_r! Nice work.

The problem with errors about the missing npcap*.exe file appearing in the event long along with scheduled tasks being disabled was an issue in the 2019 R2 and R2.1 versions of the beacon software:

• The beacon installs a npcap*.exe file in a temp directory
  • If somebody cleans up the temp directory and deletes the npcap*.exe then Windows Installer will notice the file has been deleted and automatically initiate a repair operation of the beacon MSI package the next time a discovery operation runs.
  • The repair operation leaves the beacon scheduled tasks in a disabled state.

There is some more discussion about this problem in this thread: Beacon scheduled tasks disabled.

This problem has been addressed in 2019 R2.2 and later versions of the beacon (see issue IOJ-2094877 noted in FlexNet Manager Suite 2020 R1 Resolved Issues). In the meantime, the workaround .bat script that sasikumar_r has suggested is an interesting strategy to avoid the problem. The other mitigation approach is to avoid deleting the npcap*.exe file that gets installed to your temp directory.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)