cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicates in application detail reports

Hi all,

I have a customer who is running an Application Installation Detail report and coming across a number of instances with duplicate devices where every field is the same (Computer name, inventory date, calculated user, corporate unit, cost center) with the exception of the Last used date and the number of usage sessions:

fnms_reportduplicates.png

This is causing some issues with their ability to report correctly.  Would be great to understand why/how this is happening and any possible way to mitigate it.

Thanks in advance!

(1) Solution

@sdbash 

If your view is based on the Installations object in Report Builder, then it would be expected for you to see multiple rows of output for a specific computer as each computer will have several applications installed on them.  In your example above, Last Used Date and Number of Usage Sessions are linked to each application installed on an inventory device, which is why those fields are different in each row.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

@sdbash 

If your view is based on the Installations object in Report Builder, then it would be expected for you to see multiple rows of output for a specific computer as each computer will have several applications installed on them.  In your example above, Last Used Date and Number of Usage Sessions are linked to each application installed on an inventory device, which is why those fields are different in each row.

Thanks for the information @kclausen.

The customer informed me that the report has only started doing double-ups since late January/early February of this year.  Would it potentially be that something in the report was changed/altered to cause this?  Seems that the data that's getting pulled is OK and accurate but they're wanting to eliminate the double-ups for their reporting.

Cheers!

We're having a similar thing come up. It seems as though this report classifies several installation records for a single application, but for each 'usage' session?

e.g. we'll have:

• Same Device
  • Same App
  • Same "assigned User"
  • but 'User name' is Person A

Then another line with everything the same (same app, device, etc), but "user name" is Person B. Repeat this 5 times with 5 different 'user names'.

Therefore, it shows 5 installations for a specific device, whereas in reality there's only 1 install.

Is this the expected behavior of this report? It might be good to put that in the docs as some may use it without realizing that it's not a 1 to 1 with device "installs".

@johnksilverwood 

I'm just being curious here, what happens if you leave out the usage/users from the report?

Thanks,

Hey John, it doesn't seem to change anything if I remove those columns from the report. It seems like the base data gathered from the report is gathering each unique user that had usage sessions, even if the calculated/assigned users are just one value.

Also, this is the pre-baked report in flexera called "Application Installation Details", so I can't modify the source query itself. (Using cloud FNMS)

Thanks!