cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Scheduled tasks in FNMS need to run with fnms service account

(2) Solutions

As stated by Chris, you can use any account to run the Scheduled Tasks, as long as it has the same Windows access and DB Access.  In effect, you may as well use the Service Account.  It must be a full Admin to the Windows Server, it must have the Local Security Policy to run as a batch job, and it needs DBO access to the FNMS databases.

View solution in original post

As far as I know, the Microsoft Task Scheduler as used by FlexNet Manager Suite has a hard dependency on the "Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication" policy setting being disabled. I haven't looked for some time, but I know in the past I was not able to find any way around that.

You might consider using some other scheduling tool to run scheduled tasks and batch processes instead of using Microsoft Task Scheduler. Scheduling tools other than the Microsoft tool may be considered more acceptable from a security perspective. Regardless of what tool is used, it will somehow need to store a user identity to run batch process. You would need to manage configuration of tasks in your tool of choice to ensure it runs similar tasks to what the FlexNet Manager Suite configuration process automatically configures in Microsoft Task Scheduler for you.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(10) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Scheduled tasks can generally be run using any account with appropriate rights - this could be the FlexNet Manager Suite service account itself, or another account with the same rights if you had some reason you didn't want to use the service account itself.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

As stated by Chris, you can use any account to run the Scheduled Tasks, as long as it has the same Windows access and DB Access.  In effect, you may as well use the Service Account.  It must be a full Admin to the Windows Server, it must have the Local Security Policy to run as a batch job, and it needs DBO access to the FNMS databases.

Hi Kclausen, How to do in scenario where " Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication" is enabled.

If that security policy is enabled, then the installation of the Scheduled Tasks will fail.  It is a requirement for this specific policy to be disabled.

On the FNMS Server, you must disable this policy.  If you have an Active Directory policy that forces this to be enabled, then you must create an exception to this policy for the FNMS Server.

Hi @kclausen, got you point and from security prespective don't you think it's a concern to have password saved in OS, what is Flexera's take on this. and is there an alternatives.
Hi @kclausen / @ChrisG, an thoughts on alternative / workaround for running fnms Scheduled Tasks when " Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication" enabled.

As far as I know, the Microsoft Task Scheduler as used by FlexNet Manager Suite has a hard dependency on the "Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication" policy setting being disabled. I haven't looked for some time, but I know in the past I was not able to find any way around that.

You might consider using some other scheduling tool to run scheduled tasks and batch processes instead of using Microsoft Task Scheduler. Scheduling tools other than the Microsoft tool may be considered more acceptable from a security perspective. Regardless of what tool is used, it will somehow need to store a user identity to run batch process. You would need to manage configuration of tasks in your tool of choice to ensure it runs similar tasks to what the FlexNet Manager Suite configuration process automatically configures in Microsoft Task Scheduler for you.

and I am afraid i did not accept this as a Soultion, but it show this is the Solution
And neither did i do Kudos. this seems to be doing this automatically. Which is not correct right ?

@nagaeendra - in relation to the kudos, another user has given kudos on some of the posts in this thread, but as you have noted you have not marked kudos on any posts. I can't see anything that has happened automatically or incorrectly there.

In relation to the solution, the post marked as a solution is an accurate and correct answer to the question raised by this thread. I expect a moderator of this forum has marked it as the solution to the question to help the next person who has the same question.