cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SQL Server Integration Services requires separate license?

Hi All,

We would like to check if SQL Server Integration Services does requires separate license? or could this be part of MS Visual Studio 2019? Currently, since SSIS is detected as "commercial" it's currently taking our MS SQL License.

We buy an MS Visual Studio 2019 and install SQL Data Tools, upon installing SSIS is part of the data tools, should we untick/exclude this features? as it is detected as "commercial" application by Flexera?

See below link :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-ver15

Hope to hear from you soon, as it is consuming our SQL license where user don't have license of an SQL license and only Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Venus M. Concellado

(6) Replies

Hello @venus_m_concel 

Traditionally, Microsoft SQL Server components such as 'Reporting Services/Integration Services/Analysis Services' do requires SQL Server license to cover. This is why our ARL library have most of those 'commercial' components setup as 'Suite-Child' application under 'SQL Server' - main application. Once those components app are found as installed, we report the 'SQL Server' title is recognized to give customer SAM team enough attention we need license to cover on those boxes.

However, 3rd party vendor in this case Microsoft may change the 'rule of the game' as says they may agree for a Visual Studio 2019 installation, you can use SQL Server Integration services component for free.  If that case our ARL team should setup a 'precedence' rule between 'IS' vs 'VS studio 2019'.

Could you please help to share some 'documents' that Microsoft does have such saying , either a screenshot or website link ? Also do you know this new license term allow what specific version of Integration services can be used for free? 

Cheers

Kevin  

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

This KB explains the current reason of why setting SQL components as commercial components

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/Why-some-SQL-Server-components-such-as-Reporting-Service/ta-p/6086

Cheers

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

Hi Kevin,

We don't have much info, that's why we send query if it actually does requires separate license?

When we install MS Visual Studio 2019, we install components for SSDT.

Upon installing SSDT, the features for SSIS is already checked, should we unchecked during installation as it requires separate license?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-ver15

Thanks,

See if this post helps here ?

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/security/en-US/0eedad6e-a3ae-4c20-9c82-90f9a493a926/sql-server-data-tools-licence?forum=ssdt

Cheers

Hi Kevin,

Yes, SSDT is free to use.

You haven't check the screenshot or the link that I have provided?

When installing SSDT, the features for SSIS is already checked that's why when devices is scanned shows SSIS is installed and taking our SQL server license.

We are asking if when installing SSDT, we supposed to uncheck SSIS features as it requires separate license key? Is it?

Data tools seems a component tool which is required for VS 2019. This seems fit into bundle license scenario. For instance IBM allow to use DB2 if bundle license with WAS (one of their suite product). So likely it can be something similar here. But I personally suggest reading the Microsoft license term or simply contact Microsoft Support to check the licensing term or happy to hear any one else can add thoughts on this thread here.