cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detection of Applications Installed on Oracle Virtual Box

Can FNMS detect what’s in an Oracle Virtual Box and/or its plug ins?
(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This is an old thread, but to close the loop here: some specialized support for detecting Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack was added to FlexNet Manager Suite in 2020.

See the following pages for some info:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

My understanding is that, like in other virtualization architectures, the host (and the agent on it) cannot "look into" virtual machines. Such isolation is usually part of the security strategy, but can sometime be broken with additional tools. But even then, I doubt that a 3rd party agent would be able to access this data.

To see what is in a VM, you would have to make sure the agent is deployed to all of them, or maybe use some kind of remote inventory. Additionally, you need mapping details to assign these VMs to their hosts.

I am not familiar with VirtualBox Plugins. Are they deployed using a package manager/installer?

Best regards,

Markward

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This is an old thread, but to close the loop here: some specialized support for detecting Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack was added to FlexNet Manager Suite in 2020.

See the following pages for some info:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Hi ChrisG, the second link takes one to help file where the content specifies FNMS Cloud. Is it safe to assume the instructions relate to On-Prem as well? Thanks, David

@dmathias ,

It does appear to be the same for the referenced documentation though here is a link to it for the on-prem release:

PerformVirtualBoxInventory agent preference 

and for the first link in the on-prem documentation it can be found here:

Improvements to the FlexNet inventory agent - FlexNet Manager Suite version 2019 R2.2 

HTH,

Bill