cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataWarehouse Export - Timed out on DeleteObsoleteObjects steps

Hi All, 

Looking for a solution here. 

Our weekly datawarehouse export is failing on DeleteObsoleteObjects steps. Error message in the log is execution timeout. We have increased the CommandTimedout to 12hours, and it is still not resolved. 

The steps failed exactly after the time out limit which is 12 hours. 

Should we increase the timeout limit? or 12 hours is enough and we should find the root cause of the issue? Anyone could help to shed some lights, what could be blocking on DeleteObsoleteObjects steps?

FYI, the regular  DataWarehouse Export that is running every 15 minutes always completed successfully. But DeleteObsoleteObjects step is not included in the regular DataWarehouse Export task, hence I believe that's why it completed successfully. 

Logs copied here.

2022-04-24 06:03:38,055 [INFO ] DeleteObsoleteObjects
2022-04-24 18:03:37,625 [INFO ] Failed to execute Exporter 'DeleteObsoleteObjects' from file C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\ImportProcedures\Inventory\Exporter\fnmpdatawarehouse\BusinessIntelligenceData.xml, at step line 1
Error: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
2022-04-24 18:03:37,625 [INFO ] All retries have been attempted for Exporter 'DeleteObsoleteObjects'
2022-04-24 18:03:37,625 [INFO ] Completed in 12 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
2022-04-24 18:03:37,641 [INFO ] Released application lock Exporter_c7e69b85-e9af-4c00-b738-d87d70fd9a82_BusinessIntelligenceData_ALL
2022-04-24 18:03:37,719 [ERROR] System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out

Thank you. 

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I've done a search through old records and only found one other reported occurrence from 5 years ago of a timeout occurring at the DeleteObsoleteObjects step - so this step running long looks to be a fairly rare occurrence.

This step is attempting to delete various records in the data warehouse database which are no longer referenced. (You can take a look at the queries in the file at C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\ImportProcedures\Inventory\Exporter\fnmpdatawarehouse\BusinessIntelligenceData.xml on your batch server if you're interested in the details.)

This step would normally run in seconds. Seeing a timeout may suggest that your system has ended up with an unusually large volume of data to be deleted, or maybe there is something else going on in your data warehouse database that is blocking deletions from progressing. Either way it is probably going to take a deep dive to profile or otherwise get insight into what database query is running for so long to then consider what can be done about it.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I've done a search through old records and only found one other reported occurrence from 5 years ago of a timeout occurring at the DeleteObsoleteObjects step - so this step running long looks to be a fairly rare occurrence.

This step is attempting to delete various records in the data warehouse database which are no longer referenced. (You can take a look at the queries in the file at C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\ImportProcedures\Inventory\Exporter\fnmpdatawarehouse\BusinessIntelligenceData.xml on your batch server if you're interested in the details.)

This step would normally run in seconds. Seeing a timeout may suggest that your system has ended up with an unusually large volume of data to be deleted, or maybe there is something else going on in your data warehouse database that is blocking deletions from progressing. Either way it is probably going to take a deep dive to profile or otherwise get insight into what database query is running for so long to then consider what can be done about it.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)