cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Platform Integration with FNMS 2019 R1.2

Hello,

We are trying to enable the integration between Data Platform & FNMS 2019 R1.2 in our DEV Environment.

Could someone please tell me what are the least minimal privileges required for this to work?

It is currently not listed in the FNMSInvAdaptersAndConnectorsReference.pdf

Thanks!

- David

(9) Replies

Hi @davidle,
The documentation refers to "a straight-forward connector", i.e. a direct SQL Server database connection to the Data Platform normalize database (by default named BDNA_PUBLISH), i.e. you will need read access to its tables and views:

JohnSorensenDK_0-1575276245742.png

Thanks,

Is there a reverse integration as well?  from FNMS to Data Platform? How would that work?

Data Platform has a "FlexNet Manager Data Extractor" that can connect to an FNMS On-Premises database to extract the raw hardware/software inventory to be normalized by Data Platform.  You would need to obtain this through Data Platform support.  This is a component of Data Platform and is not part of FNMS.

Actually  you have to obtain this through Data Platform support. The thing is not that deep to understand. You are talking about Data Platform Integration with FNMS 2019 R1.2,  Why you have to get it from data platform support is because it is not part of FNMS but a component of Data Platform. Hope it helps. 

You can find out more information about the Data Platform extractor for FlexNet Manager Suite in the "FlexNet Manager Suite Extractor (On Premises)" document linked from the following Flexera HelpNet page: https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/?product=Data%20Platform%20Normalize

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Natalie
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi @davidle ,

It's important to understand that FlexNet Manager -> Data Platform is the best practice direction of the integration for most cases. Is there a reason you need to go DP -> FNMS? 

Natalie Overstreet Lias
Senior Product Manager
I don’t speak for Flexera, and we should all be grateful for that

Hi @Natalie,

Within the FNMSInvAdaptersAndConnectorsReference.pdf file, Page 209-237 discusses the integration of Data Platform with FNMS:

To integrate this data for your use in license and asset management within FlexNet Manager Suite, release 2019 R2 includes a connector that imports normalized data from Normalize v5 into your compliance database. The imported data includes:

• Records of inventory devices (for both physical servers and virtual machines) found in your environment by the inventory tools (such as Microsoft SCCM or BMC ADDM) that are feeding into Normalize v5

• Details of applications recognized within your enterprise through those tools

• Installation records that link the found software to the inventory devices where it is installed

• Details of end-users who log onto the inventory devices

• Where available, records of application usage (how often, and for how long, an end-user utilized an application).

Would this still not be the case to go FNMS -> DP? Just trying to get a really good grasp on how we can integrate both of these products.

Thanks!

- David

@davidle  - That is correct.  However, almost every customer with FlexNet Manager is using FlexNet Manager Discovery/Inventory to fill in gaps from their existing Discovery Tools to capture missing inventory.

That is why in most cases, the integration is FNMS-->DP so that FlexNet Manager Discovery is being included by DP so that the full normalized view of all inventory can go from DP into your existing systems (Enterprise Architecture, ITSM/CMDB, etc.)

The data in FNMS is strictly for Software License Compliance and generally the normalized data does not feed into your other systems.

You will also lose fidelity going from DP to FNMS because DP normalizes away some products that are relevant to licensing but for no other purpose, by design, in order to present streamlined ITSM data.

The best way to preserve fidelity in reporting across your environment is FNMS -> DP regardless of whether you are using the FlexNet Inventory Agent. 

Natalie Overstreet Lias
Senior Product Manager
I don’t speak for Flexera, and we should all be grateful for that