cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a new device role?

Our IT department maintains 4 environments:  Development, Test, Certification and  Production.  The 'Certification' device role does not exist in FNMS and I'm wondering what steps would be required (if possible) to create it.  At first glance this does not seem like a trivial thing to do.

(1) Solution

There is too much logic built into FNMS to create new device roles.  If you create new device roles, then the automation around creating exemptions on a license would not be available for the new roles.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

HI Douglas.

The ideal is to match your certification role to one of those in FNMS - it sounds to me that it is effectively a Dev or Test role.

Remember that roles form part of the license exemptions and the PURL maps exemptions to predefined roles.  If your role does not bring a unique exemption that would be understood by vendors, then it would not add unique value.

Regards

There is too much logic built into FNMS to create new device roles.  If you create new device roles, then the automation around creating exemptions on a license would not be available for the new roles.

If:

1. You do not care about the considerations that have already been mentioned in this thread (i.e. the ability to make effective use of PURLs to automatically configure license exemption rules by built-in roles), and
  2. You are using FlexNet Manager Suite On-premises (not Cloud),

then it is possible to add a custom role by adding a record to the ComplianceComputerRole table in the compliance database as described in the Customizable Drop-Down Lists section of the System Reference PDF guide.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)