cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporate Unit

On some inventory device records we can't change the corporate unit in the ownership. What is preventing that and what may be a workaround?

(3) Replies

Hello,

Are these devices VMs? Maybe because of the setting you have set in the System Settings - Inventory

Update virtual machine cost center and corporate unit to match host properties

I could think of if the value is "always" it will prevent you from changing.

Regards

Frank

Another possible scenario (in addition to the VM scenario @FrankvH has noted) is that the inventory device is linked to an asset, and the Synchronize enterprise groups in device and asset properties setting in Systems Settings > Assets is enabled.

I don't know for sure whether this will stop the corporate unit (or other enterprise group fields) on inventory devices from being changed - in fact, I'd probably be a little surprised if it did. But it is worth checking if you are seeing this on a device that is not a VM.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi,

I have not changed this setting, so that is the default configuration? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That means as default FNMS allows not to assign a corporate unit of a virtual machine in the GUI
when the host has not the same corporate unit.

But it’s possible, that I can assign a corporate unit with a business adapter on the beacon server and the
GUI shows the result directly the assigned corporate unit and I believed my job was done successfully.

Next day I checked the corporate units as report for the customer again and the corporate unit
was changed for some virtual machine. So, I have some time required to understand why.

Question: Do you think to set “Always” is helpful?

I guess, it would be more helpful, to open an dialog box when you try to change the corporate unit in GUI,
to inform the operator/administrator that the virtual machine has not the same corporate unit as the host
with question:

Do want continue? Then the user can select between:

Yes, for: Go forward, that means he wants that the virtual machine and host have no the same corporate unit.
or
Use the setting "Always" and assign the same corporate unit for virtual machine as the host.
or
No, for: cancel.

As administrator when I using a business adapter on the beacon server, I always check the system tasks,
the result was always: Computer - Matched = 50, Created = 0, Updated = 50, Rejected = 0

But there is no information about a check of the setting and the check against the corporate unit of a host.
I can understand, that this is not so easy, because then the import must check:

1. Is the setting = “Always”?
  2. Is the computer a virtual machine?
  3. Has the virtual machine a host?
  4. Has the host the same corporate unit like the assigned corporate unit for virtual machine?

For  me it’s ok now, because I found your KB, but it needs me some time to got it.

Best regards