cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnicoulaud
Level 2

Consumable license features

I would like to emit license files with consumable features (license allows client to use feature N times), is it possible to implement using FlexNet ?

(3) Replies
JohnSorensenDK
Moderator Moderator

@jnicoulaud 

It's not completely clear to me what you're requesting here, so please forgive me for asking a couple of clarifying questions:

• Are you referring to applications with concurrent use license metrics?
  • Are you referring to application features being controlled by FlexNet Publisher (fka. FLEXlm) license files?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
jnicoulaud
Level 2

@JohnSorensenDK I am referring to FlexNet Publisher license files. Ideally, I would like to deliver license files looking like this:

FEATURE foo ... 10 uses=1000 ...

meaning: "a maximum of 10 concurrent users can use this feature, at most 1000 times in total". Once the feature has been used 1000 times, the license server must forbid access to the feature.

Hi @jnicoulaud ,

This type of license model is natively supported using Revenera's FlexNet Embedded (FNE) license technology.  A usage/metered license model can be used to enforce usage counts on designated features.  This requires the use of FlexNet Operations and a FlexNet Embedded Cloud or Local License Server to record/enforce usage.   In your use case you could have one floating license feature to enforce the maximum number of concurrent users (10) and another feature to control the number of times (1000) the feature can be used.   The metered feature can be specified to have a hard cap or you can also allow a specified/unlimited overage.  If overages are allowed the additional usage is recorded/reportable and can be used for billing. 

Best regards,

Jim