cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the folder path during the upgrade

During the FNMS version upgrade, the path location for all FNMS folder has been change from C drive to D drive. Once the upgrade is complete without any issue, is it possible to delete the FNMS files in C drive? Any impact?
(1) Solution
mgunnels
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Good morning,

Don't delete the folders right away rename them instead.

Example: (FlexNet Manager Platform_old)

I would rename the flexera folders in ...

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform
  2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\Inventory Beacon

After a few days you can delete the folders.

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
mgunnels
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Good morning,

Don't delete the folders right away rename them instead.

Example: (FlexNet Manager Platform_old)

I would rename the flexera folders in ...

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform
  2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\Inventory Beacon

After a few days you can delete the folders.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The answer here will depend on exactly what components and directories you are talking about. It is probably safe to delete (or rename to hide, as @mgunnels  has suggested) old installation directory contents for the FlexNet Manager Suite application server component. Deleting an old beacon installation directory location is likely to be problematic if the FlexNet inventory agent components of the beacon have been configured and are operational, since runtime data will be persistently stored under the original installation location. Deleting contents from under the C:\ProgramData directory may also be problematic depending on exactly what data you have on your system.

So in short, proceed with due caution and be sure you have an ability to roll-back any changes you try.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

While I think I can guess at the reasons for this - I am interested in understanding why you want to change the folder path and would like to hear from other users who have done it and who are interested in changing folder paths for FNMS components.

Which components do you want to change the paths for?  FNMS infrastructure, beacons and/or agents? 

Following:

Just so you know, we try to change all installations to the D drive. Our Server Team prefers they control everything in C and the app teams get to use D.

Unfortunately, when you have a single server for the app, batch, and beacon server, I've found that some things are still installed in C and either it ignored the change folder OR there wasn't an option to change.

If all Flexera installed files could be changed to D it would be great!

Thanks,

We installed our Beacon software on the F: drive because the Server Team requires all non-OS installations be done to the F: drive. That being said, the C: drive is still used by the Beacon for many different items. It would be great, as you mentioned, to have the Beacon not use the C: drive for file storage and configuration information. It would be great if the Beacon would use the F:\Program Data folder instead of the C:\Program Data folder.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.

The following thread is somewhat related to this discussion (it discusses moving data out of the C:\Program Data directory structure): https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-forum/FNMS-move-all-Logs-Readers-and-intermediate-data-to-a-data-drive/m-p/95600#M413

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)