cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the FlexNet inventory agent be installed on the FNMS batch server?

Can the FlexNet inventory agent be installed on the FNMS batch server?

FNMS 2021 R1 is installed on Windows Server  2016.

Are there any conditions or special configurations required?

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The agent can be installed on computers that have application server components (including the batch server) installed. This will normally "just work", but there can be some nuances which may need to be considered in uncommon situations.

Some ideas of nuances to look out for are:

1. If the agent version is different from the version of the server components, then it is possible that incompatibilities may arise. That is uncommon, but is something to watch out for. Depending on how you're managing the agent version installed on other computers, you may need to manage the agent versions installed on the batch server as an exception to keep it synchronized with the version of the server components.

2. Because the batch server is effectively the root of the beacon hierarchy, you may run in to some obscure behaviors with the data flow of files that are "uploaded" from the agent components on this computer. In general it will "just work", but it's something to watch.

3. Some internal tracing of various components on the batch server can be configured using a file named "etap.trace". When the agent is installed, it is possible you may need to use a file named "etcp.trace" in the agent installation directory in lieu of "etap.trace" for doing this.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The agent can be installed on computers that have application server components (including the batch server) installed. This will normally "just work", but there can be some nuances which may need to be considered in uncommon situations.

Some ideas of nuances to look out for are:

1. If the agent version is different from the version of the server components, then it is possible that incompatibilities may arise. That is uncommon, but is something to watch out for. Depending on how you're managing the agent version installed on other computers, you may need to manage the agent versions installed on the batch server as an exception to keep it synchronized with the version of the server components.

2. Because the batch server is effectively the root of the beacon hierarchy, you may run in to some obscure behaviors with the data flow of files that are "uploaded" from the agent components on this computer. In general it will "just work", but it's something to watch.

3. Some internal tracing of various components on the batch server can be configured using a file named "etap.trace". When the agent is installed, it is possible you may need to use a file named "etcp.trace" in the agent installation directory in lieu of "etap.trace" for doing this.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)