cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the FlexNet Agent automatically introspect SQL and Oracle Databases?

I've heard that one of the newer capabilities of the FlexNet Agent is improved discovery/scanning of Oracle and SQL databases, but I'm having trouble finding details on this in documentation. Could someone please help point me in the right direction? 

(1) Solution

Yes, the Flexera Agent has been capable of accurate inventory of SQL Server for some time now, by capturing the WMI Attributes that is used by our ARL to identify the version and edition of SQL Server that is installed.

The Oracle Database Inventory is a more recent feature of the agent.  Details of how the agent captures Oracle Database Inventory that is accepted by Oracle LMS/GLAS can be found in the System Reference Guide:

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2021R1/EN/SystemRef/index.html#SysRef/OracleInventoryCollection/concept/Chapter_title.html

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

Yes, the Flexera Agent has been capable of accurate inventory of SQL Server for some time now, by capturing the WMI Attributes that is used by our ARL to identify the version and edition of SQL Server that is installed.

The Oracle Database Inventory is a more recent feature of the agent.  Details of how the agent captures Oracle Database Inventory that is accepted by Oracle LMS/GLAS can be found in the System Reference Guide:

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2021R1/EN/SystemRef/index.html#SysRef/OracleInventoryCollection/concept/Chapter_title.html

Thank you kclausen, the link you provided is very helpful. Any chance you could help guide me to a similar document regarding the SQL Server inventory process?

@a_cutler - There is no similar document for SQL Server, because the process is pretty simple.  When the scan is run on Windows, there are a pre-fined set of WMI Classes that are captured by the agent, including information about the version and edition of SQL Server that is installed.  This information is used by the ARL to identify an install of SQL Server.

As an example, go to the All Applications view and search for "SQL Server 2017 Enterprise".  Open up the application, go to the Evidence tab, and then click on the WMI Evidence.  You can now see the WMI Categories/Values that are captured and used to determine if SQL Server 2017 Enterprise is installed.