cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIS Datacenter, apps installed but zero consumption?

I have a CIS Datacenter license which has mostly been configured through SKU automation. All of the permitted applications have been associated to the license.

A number of the applications are showing lots of installs. Despite this, the actual license isn't computing any consumption against the related installs. Any ideas where I can start?

(13) Replies

In the 'Microsoft Practice Guide' PDF document available for download for registered users, there is a chapter 'Core Infrastructure Server Suite (CISS)' (page #45). In this chapter, you find the following recommendations for recognizing CISS:

CISS is by default recognized as an Application Suite in FlexNet Manager where Windows Server and System Center component applications are found on the same device – this is discouraged in most cases and can be overridden by changing the number of applications necessary for recognition in the Application Suite evidence page of the Evidence Tab of the Application.

By adjusting the suite recognition criteria to requiring 10 installations to trigger recognition you can ensure that only the components of CISS are recognised (Done in the Application Suite tab seen on the Evidence tab of the Application).

Instead the CISS license should have the component products of CISS assigned (Windows Server, System Center SCCM (Recognized separately in the ARL).

The 'Microsoft Practice Guide' v5.0 can be found in the 'Practice Guide' section in the 'Learning Center' here in the community.

Thanks @statler, so as simple as this? I may be missing something but I'll be pleasantly surprised if this words
(attached)

According to the 'Microsoft Practice Guide', yes.

However, there are some other recommendations for configuring a CISS license in this document that you may want to look at.

So after a weekend of inventory and reconcile jobs, this has not resolved.

CIS is configured the way the practice guide recommends. Applications tied to the licenses show installations. But consumption on the license itself still reflects a total zero.

Very stumped.

This is still unsolved. Anyone have extra ideas?

I have applications related to the license and the applications are showing installations, but no matter how I configure the license, it doesn't actually ever turn any of those installations into consumption of any kind.

Here's another screenshot example to simply portray the issue

What applications are linked to your CIS License?

Hi Kirk, check out the attachment "CIS consumption" - it will show all applications and downgrade applications. These have been completely set via SKU automation.

Do you have other Windows Server licenses?  For example, your CIS license lists "Windows Server 2016 Standard" as one of the applications.  If you click on this application and then go to the "Licenses" tab of the application, do you see other software licenses listed?  If yes, then it could be that your installs of these applications are consumed against the other licenses.

Also, are these servers physical or virtual?  Have all of your virtual servers been linked to a Host VM, such as by integrating with VMware vCenter?

1) Correct, Server 2016 Standard is included as a downgrade right for the CIS Datacenter license as shown. We DO have another CIS Standard license which has priority to consume the Server 2016 Standard installs and it's properly set in the consumption priority ordering on the application level. Our CIS Standard license faces the same issue where all applications are set and configured by SKU automation but again, all reflect zero consumption despite having installations of said applications.

vCenter discovery is running and pretty healthy. Out of 37k VMs discovered, only ~200 are lacking host info. And I don't suspect the 200 are the cause here as those are mostly Windows 10 Vms

Still unsolved, new attachment to illustrate high level.

License fully built by FNMS SKU automation. Applications related via SKU automation. Installations of related apps are detected. Yet license computes zero usage. This is true for both CIS Datacenter and CIS Standard licenses, so its not a question of upgrade/downgrade consumption directing to another license, etc.

@jq3i4h9u 

Please provide the details that @kclausen requested earlier:

Do you have other Windows Server licenses?  For example, your CIS license lists "Windows Server 2016 Standard" as one of the applications.  If you click on this application and then go to the "Licenses" tab of the application, do you see other software licenses listed?  If yes, then it could be that your installs of these applications are consumed against the other licenses.

It may consume from non-CIS licenses...

Thanks,

@JohnSorensenDK Thanks John, yes, as stated above, we have CIS Datacenter and Standard. No other Windows licensing. Both built by SKU automation. Both have proper applications related. Upgrade/Downgrade application rights look logical, based on SKU automation. All related applications have some installations. License consumption order/priority is automated (I did not adjust). Yet zero consumption on both.