cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beacon Port and URL

Hello,

In https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2021R1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/FIB-PortsAndURLs.html

It is said that the discovery task requires these port. I wonder if this task is required for all inventory methods or only adopted and zero-footprint?

And if I use other method (ex: agent 3rd party deployment), will the specific server be recognized like MS SQL server?

And what inventory information will be missed if I do not open the specific ports in the picture for specific servers?

Thank you so much.

Capture.PNG

(1) Solution

The Discovery section (number 10) in the diagram is referring to the built-in DISCOVERY capabilities of FlexNet that is initiated by the Beacon.  If you are not planning on using the Discovery/Ping Sweep functionality on the beacon then this section can be ignored.  

Remote/zero-touch inventory through the beacon is covered by section 12 in the document.

Neither of these sections apply if you are installing the FlexNet Agent.  In that case only Port 80/Port 443 needs to be open between the agent and the beacon.

Even when using an installed agent, it is likely that beacons will be making a remote connection to your vCenter SDK, which would also be on Port 80/443

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

"Discovery" here means to discover machines and specific products over the network.

As soon as the agent is run on a computer, it should gather all evidences needed to "discover" applications, not open ports needed.

Best regards,

Markward

The Discovery section (number 10) in the diagram is referring to the built-in DISCOVERY capabilities of FlexNet that is initiated by the Beacon.  If you are not planning on using the Discovery/Ping Sweep functionality on the beacon then this section can be ignored.  

Remote/zero-touch inventory through the beacon is covered by section 12 in the document.

Neither of these sections apply if you are installing the FlexNet Agent.  In that case only Port 80/Port 443 needs to be open between the agent and the beacon.

Even when using an installed agent, it is likely that beacons will be making a remote connection to your vCenter SDK, which would also be on Port 80/443