cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: 3rd level beacon broken after upgrade from FNMS 2019 R1 to FNMS2019 R2 (On Prem)

Hi all,

I think I stumbled over a bug during the update from FNMS 2019 R1 to FNMS 2019 R2

Due to security constraints we have a multi layer beacon implementation.

The connection is the following beacon03 -> beacon02 -> beacon01 -> app server

According to documentation the flow is from beacon to app servers, so the flow is open only from beacon03 -> beacon02 , every thing worked fine till we upgraded the system.

All beacons in the environment (6) received the update and working fine, except this one (beacon03)

We started to receive URI error, the beaconengine.log looks like:

2019-12-17 12:32:17,009 [llers.PolicyController|policy] [INFO ] No upgrade of the beacon is required. Current version: '14.0.0.52' 2019-12-17 12:33:17,009 [Scheduler.ScheduledJob|policy] [INFO ] Executing job: policy 2019-12-17 12:33:17,009 [llers.BeaconController|policy] [INFO ] Scheduled job triggered: utils-policy. 2019-12-17 12:33:17,009 [mmon.BeaconPolicyCache|policy] [INFO ] Loading beacon policy from 'C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\BeaconPolicy.xml' 2019-12-17 12:33:17,009 [mmon.BeaconPolicyCache|policy] [INFO ] Certificate configurations not found. 2019-12-17 12:33:17,009 [Services.PolicyService|policy] [INFO ] .Net framework present: .NET Framework 4.6.1 2019-12-17 12:33:17,009 [Services.PolicyService|policy] [ERROR] Failed to download policy. System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined. at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind) at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString) at Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Core.CommunicationProtocolIdentifier.DetectTlsVersion(Uri endPointUri, ICredentials credentials) at Flexera.Beacon.Engine.Services.PolicyService.GetPolicyFromServer(Int32 currentRevisionNumber, String inventorySettingsRevision) at Flexera.Beacon.Engine.Services.PolicyService.UpdatePolicy(IActivityLogger activityLogger) 2019-12-17 12:33:17,009 [llers.PolicyController|policy] [INFO ] No upgrade of the beacon is required. Current version: '14.0.0.52'

As you can see from log file the version is correct, which assume that beacon was upgraded to the latest version

Investigating the registry file, we I see the following:

the key FNMPWEBUIURL got changed or had the value with no https:// in front, changing this value solved the issue.

The question is why a beacon so deep in infrastructure need access to the FNMP web site, because the communication with that site is not possible due to firewall restriction, he only communicate with his master beacon.

I put this value to be the same as BeaconServiceEngine which is pointing to the master beacon.

May be someone from Flexera can replicate this in a lab environment and check.

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Adrian,

I believe the only reason for the Beacon to know the Web UI address is to guide you to the configuration page when clicking the "Download configuration" button in the "Parrent connection" section.

Best regards,

Markward

Hi @mfranz ,

Yes, that can be a reason, I configured this beacon as following:

From WebUI download the .flexeraconfig file, and copy onto the beacon.

Modify the registry key on beacon that have uniq id to be the same as the one from configuration file. Import the file and every thing is ok. Also during the installation when I was asked to put the WebUI address I put it there, but after the upgrade this address was changed by the beacon upgrade procedure and put a address with no https://, which generated the URI error.