cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying upgrade software license purchases

I have purchased a qty of 600 upgrade licenses for Adobe Acrobat (in bulk). Prior to the purchase Adobe reviewed and approved our eligibility to these upgrades. In FNMS, we are unable to apply the purchase due to the system warning that FNMS can't find the base (original) license purchase. The base license(s) are 100's of individual purchases made over the course of several years.

My questions are:

Is there a way to xref our 600 upgrades to the individual licenses without having to touch each individual license purchase (PO)?

Is there a way to override the FNMS alert\restriction to get the tool to accept the upgrades without the source licenses?  And if so what other calculations in the tool would we need to consider?

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The nominal best practice way to fully model this scenario would be:

• Have a single Adobe Acrobat version "Old" License record, with the original 600 purchases linked to it.
  • Create a Purchase record for the upgrade, process that Purchase record to create a License record for Adobe Acrobat version "New", and select the version "Old" license record as the base license to be upgrade.

However from your description it sounds like you do not already have the version "Old" License record in place, and it would be tedious to get that set up. Given you have a documented agreement in place with Adobe that you are eligible for the upgrades, a simpler model would be:

• Create a Purchase record for the upgrade, but configure the purchase so that it has a type of Software (rather than Software Upgrade). Attach appropriate information on the record to show the agreement with Adobe that you are eligible for the upgrade. Process the Purchase record to create an Adobe Acrobat version "New" License record - because of the purchase type, you will not need to have the version "Old" License record in place to do this.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

And in addition to Chris's response, if you have a SKU entered for your Software Upgrade purchase you may find that FNMS overrides your decision to change the Purchase type to Software as you process the purchase, due to the SKU being recognised as type Software Upgrade.  If this is the case you can get around this by removing or slightly changing the SKU so that FNMS is unable to recognise it.  You will then be able to process it as a purchase with type Software, as per the suggested solution.

As you create the license without the SKU you can still use the intelligence of the Product Use RIghts Library by selecting an appropriate license template, which you are prompted to do as part of the license creation procedure.

Stewart

Thank you for your response and guidance.