cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application must consume more than one license

Dear Community, I have come across a situation that an application is to consume from two licenses but is consuming only one based on priority. Is there a way that I can set it to consume from both the licenses? Also, does the ability of an application to consume more than one license vary from one application to another? If so, how can I identify them?
(6) Replies

@sanbeam - Can you elaborate on your specific Use Case on why a single install of an application on a device needs to consume against more than 1 license?

FNMS does not have this ability - by default an install of an application will only consume against 1 license, based on License Priorities, Restrictions and Optimized Use Rights.

If you wish to have an install of an application consume against more than 1 license, then you would need to allocate that Computer / User against both licenses and set the check box for "Allocations Consume against the License".

@kclausen, thank you. According to our SAM team, they are expecting Windows 10 Enterprise to consume 2 different licenses, one user and the other device. The user-based license is being consumed based on priority.

User - Enterprise Mobility and Security E3 (Add-on to Core CAL)
Device - PAINT PC, CASH OFFICE, TRAINING, VIDEO - SHARED SYSTEMS

Are you sure the SAM team are really saying a single installation of Windows on a computer should consume both a user and a device license? I have never heard of Microsoft licensing Windows in this way - that would be a highly unusual custom arrangement with Microsoft.

It may be that what the SAM team are saying is that some installations of Windows should be covered by a user-based license, and other installations should be covered by a device-base license. This would be modeled by having separate license records in FlexNet Manager Suite with the appropriate license types, and then arranging your licensing modelling so that installs you consider are covered by each license get tied to that license.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for providing details.

There are 2 different licenses:

1. Windows OS E3 (Add-on to Core CAL)- Subscription - EA - User based license  (Enterprise Mobility and Security E3)

2. Windows OS E3 PAINT PC, CASH OFFICE, TRAINING, VIDEO - SHARED SYSTEMS - Lic/SA - EA - Device based license

For both the licenses, same application has been tagged ie., Windows 10 Enterprise application. Is this correct?

If yes, Flexera is consuming only against User based license and could not see any consumption against device based license.

Is it because of Precedence?

Hi,

Your problem is this: Once an installation was used to consume an entilement, like Windows 10, this specific installation is not available to consume something else. There are some things to consider:

1. You could (in some situations) create a combined license, kind of a bundle. But this does not exactly fit your use case here.
  2. While Windows is represented in the inventory (evidences and stuff) and therefor is shown as an installed application in FNMS, EMS is usually not represented as an application. This alone is a good indication that you'll have to proceed differently here.
  3. Also the different license types can be a good indicator for different approaches (like 2.)

I would recommend to try to import the EMS data from the cloud using the Microsoft 365 adapter. Or find some other source (AD?) and do an allocation (Business Import).

Best regards,

Markward

@sanbeam - There are some types of licenses where consumption is NOT determined by software installation.  A couple examples of these are Microsoft CALs and Named User licenses.  One of the licenses that you referenced is part of Office 365 (Enterprise Mobility and Security) and is a Named User license.  The correct way to get consumption for this license would be to use the built-in Office 365 Adapter.  This will create the license automatically within FNMS, obtain the current number of subscription entitlements that you own and the list of Users that are assigned to this license subscription within the 365 Portal.  These users are then Allocated by the O365 Adapter to the license to generate Consumption for your Named User license.