cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Impacts ... Upgrading Business Adapter Staging Database from SQL 2012 to SQL 2019 Cloud User

Hi Everyone, a Case has been opened up for this with Support but just curious if anyone has encountered a similar scenario. I will update this thread with any details I receive back from Support as well.

Here is the scenario  ...

Cloud Environment for FNMS

Beacon Version is 2020 16.1.0

Version of Embedded Business Adapter Studio is 2020 

Version of Stand Alone Business Adapter Studio is 2017 R2

Staging Database is currently SQL 2012 and will be upgraded to SQL 2019

Question is .. will the Business Adapters run ok using the upgraded Staging Database of SQL 2019 without anything else being done with the exception of changing the  "Connection" String details since a brand new Instance will be used instead of upgrading the current one.

My initial thought from poking around a bit is that it should be just fine without any impacts but I am not 100% sure. In terms of the Stand Alone version of the Business Adapter Studio being at version 2017 R2 is what scares me a bit but when I looked for the most current version I only see 2018 R2 so it doesn't look like that should impact things being at 2017 R2.

Off the top of my head I can't remember why we must have the Stand Alone version of the Business Adapter Studio along with the embedded Beacon one but something tells me one can support SQL scripts and one can not .. maybe someone can straighten me out on that as well.

Thanks in Advance,

Bruce

I do think this may come up more as the Microsoft products become end of life so it will probably benefit others as well.

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

While this comment doesn't take the place of actual testing to verify, I can't think of any obvious reason why upgrading the SQL Server version used to host a database that a business adapter connects to would make any material difference to the business adapter.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

While this comment doesn't take the place of actual testing to verify, I can't think of any obvious reason why upgrading the SQL Server version used to host a database that a business adapter connects to would make any material difference to the business adapter.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks Chris for your reply ... really appreciate it . I heard back from Support and they too do not see any potential impacts either. As Chris suggested, nothing is better than actually testing things out, which I am planning to do for sure.

Thx

Bruce