cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Web Services - An unknown error occurred while attempting to retrieve a list of roles to assume.

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

I am getting errors importing from Amazon Web Services. I saw that on a customer system and then set up a test environment to import from another AWS tenant - with the same results.

Running the Reader with default settings results in:

Failed to get caller identity

When setting $ErrorActionPreference = 'SILENTLYCONTINUE' I get:

An unknown error occurred while attempting to retrieve a list of roles to assume.

I just set up my AWS tenant (policies, role) after the documentation and get the same errors as in the customer environment. That leads me to believe there's something wrong in general, maybe something changed on the AWS side?

Does anyone run the AWS connection and is having the same issue?

Best regards,

Markward

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I've done a search for other reports of this message, and there isn't anything recent.

I did find one other report from around 18 months ago. While I don't understand the details, it appears that some kind of conflict was found between the following DLLs installed on a server and the installed AWS PowerShell Tools module:

• AWSSDKSQS.dll
  • AWSSDK.Core.dll
  • AWSSDK.SimpleNotificationService.dll

It was reported that deleting the DLLs helped resolve the issue.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Thanks for your answer, unfortunately that didn't solve my problem.

PS: I removed user, role and policies and re-did everything after the user-approach. Still getting the same error.

@mfranz - are you still seeing this occurring?

I did hear of this issue occurring at another organization recently, but then it stopped happening sometime in the last week or two. There was no apparent reason or change causing the issue to stop occurring. So I'm wondering if something did indeed change on the AWS side to cause this as you suggested, and then it changed back.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)