cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agents on Workstations

Hi Forum 

Help me understanding what are challenges or risks that are faced if Flexera agents are installed on workstations.

Is there any document for pre-requisites for agent installation in workstations.

(I believe Windows servers and workstations agent installation process/Binaries are same )

Thanks 

(6) Replies
dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hi @ReshmaB ,

Take a look through  Gathering FlexNet Inventory FlexNet Manager Suite 2022 R1 It is the agent documentation for the latest version of the FlexNet Agent.

You are correct that the binaries and installation process is the same for severs and workstations, but you may incline to enable usage monitoring on your workstations and not on your servers. The agent is capable of capturing the usage data for software which is helpful when making licensing decisions for desktop software. Typically you do not need to monitor usage on servers.

Thanks,

Dan

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Your understanding that the same agent binaries are used on all Windows devices (severs and workstations) is correct.

See the the following page for information about prerequisites: https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2022R1/EN/SysReq/index.html#FNMS_sys_req/RN_sys_req_prereq.html (NB. this particular link is for the FlexNet Manager Suite 2022 R1 version.)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi @ChrisG

We are having a customer who uses SCCM adaptor for Workstation inventory.

As Customer is migrating to InTune, As per my understanding there is not such adaptor in place in Flexera One.

And our beacon server is not placing internet and it's on Azure. So agent rollout will be again a problem for us.(every time it's not possible for users to connect over VPN or cooperate network as most of them are working from home).

Please suggest any solution for this kind of scenario

(I have raised a case with Flexera waiting for their response)

In order to manage computers which are connected to the Internet but do not reliably have a connection to an internal corporate network, it would be normal to deploy 1 or more beacons that are accessible from the Internet.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Can you please help understanding what are risks involved on allowing internet access on beacon

@ReshmaB 

The risks would be similar to exposing any other IIS based services on the Internet. However, by following practices as outlined by Flexera's documentation, and especially the guidelines supplied by Murray Peters published in Using client certificates for mutual TLS (mTLS) authentication between internet-facing beacons and FlexNet inventory agents you're minimizing the associated risks.

Thanks,