cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adoption and Zero Touch Flexnet Agent deployment Testing

Hi Dear Community,

In the past and at the present day - we have been deploying the Flexnet agents via SCCM or through manual process where we provide the packages to UNIX and Windows engineers to perform the installation with root priviliges.

We would like to explore the adoption and zero touch options that Flexera has to over utilizing the Targets and Rules section on the FNMS cloud with Password manager.

I would be glad if I got some feedback or suggestions from the community who have employed these methods in the past. Despite having the documentation from FNMS,  I would also want the insights from the community.

Regards

Cloaky

(1) Solution

Hi Cloaky,

My own experience is that most customers prefer installing an Agent on target computers. I don't see a lot of companies using the "Adoption" and "Zero Touch" features in FNMS on their production systems.

There is a number of prerequisites and limitations with the "Adoption" and "Zero Touch" approach:

• You have to store a user with Administrator or root privileges with credentials in the password store on all Beacons
  • The NetBIOS IP Port (135) and SMB IP Port (445) need to be open between the Beacon(s) and Windows target computers
  • The SSH IP Port (22) needs to be open to Non-Windows computers, and SSH needs to be enabled
  • File & Print Services need to be running on Windows target computers
  • Target computers need to be online when the adoption or "zero touch" rule is being executed (for obvious reasons)
  • It is not supported with IP v6
  • "Zero Touch" will not allow collecting any usage data
  • "Zero Touch" is not compatible with IBM PVU Sub-Capacity Calculations

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

Hi Cloaky,

My own experience is that most customers prefer installing an Agent on target computers. I don't see a lot of companies using the "Adoption" and "Zero Touch" features in FNMS on their production systems.

There is a number of prerequisites and limitations with the "Adoption" and "Zero Touch" approach:

• You have to store a user with Administrator or root privileges with credentials in the password store on all Beacons
  • The NetBIOS IP Port (135) and SMB IP Port (445) need to be open between the Beacon(s) and Windows target computers
  • The SSH IP Port (22) needs to be open to Non-Windows computers, and SSH needs to be enabled
  • File & Print Services need to be running on Windows target computers
  • Target computers need to be online when the adoption or "zero touch" rule is being executed (for obvious reasons)
  • It is not supported with IP v6
  • "Zero Touch" will not allow collecting any usage data
  • "Zero Touch" is not compatible with IBM PVU Sub-Capacity Calculations

@erwinlindemann  Thank you! I will review the valuable content shared here and proceed accordingly.

I am still curious - if it is not suited in production, what would be the benefits of having such a deployment method offered in the first place?

Regards

Cloaky

Hi ,

Can you share the file & print service name & do you any idea, why will they need for adoption process.

Usually, there will be a feature named 'File and Print Services' on your Windows computers that can be enabled.

Having this feature enabled is considered to be a requirement for Remote Procedure Calls (RPCs). 'File and Print Services' will require some of the IP ports to be open that also must be open for using 'Zero Touch' on Windows computers: IP Port 139 (NetBIOS ) and IP Port 445 (SMB).

However, opening these IP ports and running the Remote Procedure Call (RpcSs) Windows service might actually be sufficient.

Detailed information about 'Zero Touch' is available in the 'Zero-footprint: System Requirements' and 'Zero-footprint: Accounts and Privileges' pages in the 'Gathering FlexNet Inventory' documentation.

Hi

File & Print services can't be enable in all server as its not required. Also its a role not feature.