cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding custom DownloadSettings endpoints to registry in mgssetup.ini

Hi,

I'm trying to add more endpoints to DownloadSettings registry path to provide more endpoints for Flexera agent to report to if initial contact fails (mainly if either IP or name resolution to  beacon don't work). I guess it is feasible based on my tests.

Problem is however that adding additional registry values in mgssetup.ini. The first entries are displayed in correct key path (desc0 and val0). But following values does not appear anywhere and not added to registry. Is the syntax correct or is the feature not working for additional values?

; Registry settings to be created under
; HKLM\Software\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Common
[Common]
;desc0 = Customization\Testing\TestValueName
;val0 = TestValueValue
; desc1 =
; val1 =

desc0 = DownloadSettings\Bootstrap Server 2\Protocol
val0 = http
desc1 = DownloadSettings\Bootstrap Server 2\Host
val1 = test.testi.com

(7) Replies

Hi @anttimustonen ,

I don't know if your solution is working but you can try this solution:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Forum/FNMS-Inventory-Agent-Deployment/td-p/96439/page/4

I use that modification and deploy one packet on 7 active beacon and is working fine.

Thanks, I'm aware of that solution but I'm looking for the easiest way out of adding endpoints. Adding registry entries in mgssetup.ini would be easiest way of doing it at the moment, but for somea reason as stated in the topic it's not working as described. I will certainly give that solution a ago if this is post's method is confirmed not working.

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Assuming FNMS on prem, you could add this information to the "Beacon_MT" table and let FNMS hand it down the Beacons to the agents. The Stored Procedure "BeaconAdd" could help.

Best regards,

Markward

Hi mfranz, that's good solution in cases more endpoints are needed, will take note. But I'm looking for solution that would have endpoints ready in case initial policy download fails. Registry entries would provide that as in the topic, but for some reason not working.

I get it, in a deployment/bootstrapping situation my approach wouldn't help. As linked by Adrian, having a default policy and settings for deployment would be a proven approach.

I wonder if your additional Registry data was removed during the bootstrapping process. I guess the agent will remove "overhanging" data that is no longer comming from the policy/settings.

Hi,

Small update after some experimenting.

Using the bootstrap method hinted @adrian_ritz1 and @mfranz 's Beacon_MT trick I came up with this.

The challenge with the bootstrap method is that it does help in coupling the agent & beacon, but after the policy download is successful the bootstrap data is wiped out from registry. Only the beacons configured on Flexera server are added and this leads to problem when there's only one Beacon which is using FQDN. With predictable results, the devices lacking DNS will then fail to upload or download policies or inventory files. But then I added almost identical fake beacon to Beacon_MT table with 'HTTPaccessData' including  '<NetworkName></NetworkName>' tags including Flexera server beacon's IP address.

Now the agent's policy download on the device will add two Beacons, one with IP and one with FQDN and policy/inventory works using both IP and name resolution, effectively adding a failover Beacon. I have not tested this much so no guarantees, but it seems plausible. I would like to know how to control AutoPriority and Priority parameters in agent registry, haven't found a way yet. Setting UploadLocation parameter would be one solution, but I figure it only has one forced value and you would need multiple configurations. All comments on plausability and foreseeable risks of this "trick" are welcome.

Thanks for the feedback. I initially had to come up with this fake Beacon approach for a customer running a subnet without DNS (for security resaons).