cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anshul-barco
Level 4

Metered Licensing Queries

I am exploring how metered licensing can benefit us for one of our business use case.

I went through the documentation and below are my queries/ understanding I want to clear.

1. If I’m not wrong, metered licensing is supported by both C & Java FNE. What minimum version of C & Java FNE supports Metered Licensing?
  2. Is it possible to just capture the ‘capped’ usage at the FNE side, and enforce (stop the use of any feature, say, after x number of hours) the metered licensing w/o reporting usage back to the back-office? Or in other words, is it optional to send the usage information to the back office?
    1. If yes: is it supported on both FNEs (C and Java)?
  3. Is ‘Flexnet usage management’ a separate paid service, than FNO?
  4. Any steps/processes to use ‘Flexnet usage management’?
  5. If we enforce metered licensing only at the FNE side, then do we still need ‘Flexnet usage management’?
  6. What are the features/ benefits of using ‘Flexnet usage management’?
  7. Do we need the acquisition API for metered licensing to work?
  8. Is FlexNet Embedded local license server supported for both C & Java FNEs?
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @anshul-barco ,

Brief responses to your questions below ...

1. All of the FNE toolkits supports metered licensing.
  2. FNE clients send usage requests to either a FlexNet Operations Cloud license server (internet connected use case) or a Local license server (disconnected use case) .  The server maintains the metered usage counts and will respond back to the clients with information on whether or not the usage requests were satisfied. 
  3. The FlexNet Operations Cloud Monetization Module is required to enable Metered / Usage based license models.  
  4. Documentation and Resources are available.  As a starter refer to the "Getting Started with Usage Management" section in the FlexNet Operations User Guide.
  5. The Cloud Monetization Model is required for metered licensing.
  6. Usage Management allows you to entitle your customers to a usage plan and if desired you can also allow them to use more than entitled (unlimited use or a designated overage).  Overage reports can be used for billing purposes or for negotiating higher tier usage plans.  Detailed usage reports are available which can also be used for pay-per-use billing.
  7. Metered license requests can be sent using  from clients using either the FlexNet Embedded SDKs or the Cloud Monetization REST API (CMAPI).  The CMAPI REST APIs are intended for use in Cloud Applications.
  8. All FNE SDKs can communicate with both a FlexNet Embedded local or Cloud license server.

Thanks,

Jim

1. Is ‘Flexnet usage management’ a separate paid service, than FNO?
  2. Any steps/processes to use ‘Flexnet usage management’?
  3. If we enforce metered licensing only at the FNE side, then do we still need ‘Flexnet usage management’?
  4. What are the features/ benefits of using ‘Flexnet usage management’?
  5. Do we need the acquisition API for metered licensing to work?
  6. Is FlexNet Embedded local license server supported for both C & Java FNEs?
0 Kudos

If not exactly, what's the appx cost for running one instance of CLS (Cloud License Server)?

0 Kudos

Hi @anshul-barco ,

Please contact your Revenera Account Manager for pricing.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
anshul-barco
Level 4

Thanks @jberthold  for response.
Can you please also clarify that, FlexNet Embedded local license server is delivered as a war or jar file?

0 Kudos

Hi @anshul-barco ,

The local license server is delivered as a jar file.

Thx,

Jim

0 Kudos