cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tanushree
Level 5

How can we get the exact product details for a feature that has been mapped to a device. Say Feature A is mapped to Product P1 and is also mapped to Product P2, then how can we know that feature from which product is being used. (we can know it from the entitlement id), but through SDK code/ API how can we know

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
(3) Solutions
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Tanushree ,

One way to achieve this is to place the Product Name (and optionally the Product Version) into one of the available license model attributes (Issuer, Serial Number, Vendor String or Notice) using what are called substitution variables.   Substitution variables allow you to inject information from the entitlement such as Account Name, Activation ID, Product Information, into the generated license.  Your application can then query the local license for these attributes.  The table below lists the predefined substitution variables.   

substitution_variables.png

In your example the Product Name is: {EntitlementLineItem.productName} and the Product Version is {EntitlementLineItem.productVersion}

substitution_variables2.png

Thanks,

Jim

View solution in original post

Hi @jberthold,

Thank you for your response, yes this seems like an option, but it would block the optional licensing attributes and also we would have to force to embed the product name in the license model/entitlement creation time.

Alternatively I was looking into the consumption API, which lists down  the feature consumption for a particular account. (given below)

consumption.PNG

But here, the feature name and version though it is consumed is always blank which I find weird, as it defeats the whole purpose of sending the feature name.

Could you throw some light on why it is like this or should we have certain specs to see the feature name/version returned in response?

Thanks and Regards,

Tanushree Chauhan

Tagging: @sunilbond , @Ravikiran 

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Tanushree ,

Based on what I'm seeing this could be a bug with the consumption API.  I do see Feature Name/Version returned in cases where licenses are mapped to a license server.  

consumption.png

I'll update this post when I get additional information.

** UPDATE **   This is not a bug. This consumption REST API was designed to extract feature usage data from a license server.   With standalone licensing where devices activate directly with FNO, there is no knowledge of which features are being used in the activated product as the activation simply returns all defined Product features.

Thx,

Jim

(3) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Tanushree ,

One way to achieve this is to place the Product Name (and optionally the Product Version) into one of the available license model attributes (Issuer, Serial Number, Vendor String or Notice) using what are called substitution variables.   Substitution variables allow you to inject information from the entitlement such as Account Name, Activation ID, Product Information, into the generated license.  Your application can then query the local license for these attributes.  The table below lists the predefined substitution variables.   

substitution_variables.png

In your example the Product Name is: {EntitlementLineItem.productName} and the Product Version is {EntitlementLineItem.productVersion}

substitution_variables2.png

Thanks,

Jim

Hi @jberthold,

Thank you for your response, yes this seems like an option, but it would block the optional licensing attributes and also we would have to force to embed the product name in the license model/entitlement creation time.

Alternatively I was looking into the consumption API, which lists down  the feature consumption for a particular account. (given below)

consumption.PNG

But here, the feature name and version though it is consumed is always blank which I find weird, as it defeats the whole purpose of sending the feature name.

Could you throw some light on why it is like this or should we have certain specs to see the feature name/version returned in response?

Thanks and Regards,

Tanushree Chauhan

Tagging: @sunilbond , @Ravikiran 

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Tanushree ,

Based on what I'm seeing this could be a bug with the consumption API.  I do see Feature Name/Version returned in cases where licenses are mapped to a license server.  

consumption.png

I'll update this post when I get additional information.

** UPDATE **   This is not a bug. This consumption REST API was designed to extract feature usage data from a license server.   With standalone licensing where devices activate directly with FNO, there is no knowledge of which features are being used in the activated product as the activation simply returns all defined Product features.

Thx,

Jim