cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linefusion
Level 2

enable/disable update service during installation

Hi,

I have a product which includes InstallShieldX Update Service.
However, some of the customer may not have internet connection and want to disable this automatic check for updates.

Is it possible to create an Automatic Check For Updates checkbox in InstallShieldX. If the user check the checkbox it will just use the default set otherwise it will not check for updates at all.

How to turn on/off the Automatic check for updates from InstallShield Basic MSI project?

Does it have a special property to be set?
Thanks
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Are you using the Update Service Starter edition (the free one), then I think the Update Manager takes care of all the update checks for you, and with that, it will handle if the users computer has an internet connection or not. The only problem I can see with this is that for users that don't have an internet connection, it will still install Update Manager, and that will essentially be useless to those customers. I also am not aware of how Update Manager will handle situations where it hasn't made an update check for a long period of time. Does it pop up a window saying it needs to check for updates? I don't know the answer to that one...

If you use a non-free Update Service, you get a bunch of API's and sample code which will allow you write an update solution that's tailored to your needs.
0 Kudos
Sunny_s
Level 6

If you are writing code to Check For Updates then you should first call

IsConnectedEx() first as in :

if (IsConnectEx(productCode) == VARIANT_TRUE)
{
your update service code here.....

}

If you are using Starter Edition and rely only on Update Manager. Update Manager should not bother end-user if it is not connected to internet. Moreover, Check for Update can be disabled using Update Manager UI.

Thanks
-Sunny
0 Kudos