cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carsten
Level 4

What am I missing?

I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what, can you help.

I'm running IS X Express. In that program there is a feature for running the update service in Starter Mode, ok. I select this option, and I'm guided to a regester product page on the IS Update Service web. The name of the product and version and product GUID is automatically filled out, and I just accept the product.
When running the setup.exe from the IS X Express installation is installs an Update Manager, with my application as one of the supported programs, and that is wat I expect.

When I try to run a manual update is says that no updates are available. In my software I added a menu calling the agent.exe with the following command line:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\Agent.exe" -au{4F7643B1-xxxx-42D2-856F-27194C660C95} -AppMenu

Where "xxxx" are replacing some other figures.

But when I run this I get a dialog saying that The update service does not recognize this product. Error 13001.

Please help....
-cpede
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

carsten,

The starter edition can only check for updates via the Update Manager, not via the agent APIs. That's one of the unfortunate limitations of the starter edition.

KellyF
0 Kudos
carsten
Level 4

The Update Manager does not come up with the same error message. When I try to update, it just claims that no updates are available?

Now I don't know if it is the product that is not recognized, or the version, or the update?

Please help,

-cpede

P.S. Don't you normally change the product GUID between product versions? So why do you have versions under product?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Carsten,

If the product wasn't recognised, you'd see a message about the product not being registered. With regards to Update Manager, it may be something about your version number not matching that which was a part of your update package (PM your productcode/version # and we can dig into the system to look around, those also allow us to run the update check in support) Speaking of which, we have great support folks, so if you haven't already, I'd recommend submitting a support ticket. They may be able to get answers quicker than any of us devs.

I believe the philosophy is minor version changes still keep the same productcode, but major version changes are treated as a new product and have a new product code. (Please note, I've heard some in other development communities argue that it should change, but I feel it's a matter of preference and occasionally necessity thanks to MSI. )

KellyF
carsten wrote:
The Update Manager does not come up with the same error message. When I try to update, it just claims that no updates are available?

Now I don't know if it is the product that is not recognized, or the version, or the update?

Please help,

-cpede

P.S. Don't you normally change the product GUID between product versions? So why do you have versions under product?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Carsten,

Based on the info you PM'd me, I tracked it down to your version # being different than what the update had listed. Please see my email for more details. Once those changes are made, you should see the update in Update Manager.

Just a note: the Update Service recognizes X.yy format for versions.

Regards,
KellyF
0 Kudos