cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neildavidson
Level 6

Updating files in use

Could somebody tell me how the update service handles files that are in use ? Obviously when an application calls the update service the application.exe file is open, so if there is an upgrade how does it patch the open application ?

Thanks,

- Neil
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

some apps only update data files, so the main application in use is not an issue. If you are updating the main application, you can one of two things....

1. You can use the update install to close your application. The update install can detect if your application is open. If so, it can prompt your user to close it. Developer and Express will automatically do this. You will have to program that functionality into an update built with Professional.

2. You can launch the Update Service and close your application. The Update Service will continue to run. This is less desirable if your user may choose not to run the installation, as your application would be closed for no reason.
0 Kudos
neildavidson
Level 6

Thanks.

- Neil
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Per : "1. You can use the update install to close your application. The update install can detect if your application is open. If so, it can prompt your user to close it. Developer and Express will automatically do this. You will have to program that functionality into an update built with Professional."

This is great, but HOW does one do this (i.e. program the functionality into an update built with Professional)?
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

One idea, check out the function Is(). You can check to see if you application file is locked. If so, prompt to close the application.

I believe that InstallSite also has a function that will detect and close your open application. But I haven't used it myself.

http://www.installsite.org/
0 Kudos