cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Update Message missing

Some of our product users do not get an update message when the the application checks for Updates at the appstart. Some other users do get updates at the same time.

Everyone's internet connection is good, but still the problem exists. We get support calls for this from our clients and we can't give them a proper reasoning for this.

Pls let me know how i could detect the cause.
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

If I understand correctly, you have call to AppUpdate() -AppStart in your application start-up. Is that correct?

And you are wondering why some customers see an update while others do not. Is that correct?

One guess.... AppUpdate will check for two types of messages during application start-up.

1. critical updates - this check is done everyday.
2. optional updates - this check is done every 30 days.

If you have the update set as optional - your customers will gradually get the update over 30 days. You set an update as critical when you edit the message. Set it to show during the "next use" event. When you do that, all your customers will see the update the next time they open your application.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Hi Chris,

Yes we are using AppUpdate() -AppStart in our application start-up. I have made the message type as a "critical update".

But as i mentioned, it is just some of the users that do not get the update message. Rest of them do get the message.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

That makes sense. In theory, 1/30th of your customers would see the update each day.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Hi Chris,

I am not clear with your response....................... 😞

We are NOT using 'optional' message updates. All of our messages are set to "critical messages'. Also we have checked the 'Next use' condition to TRUE.

In that case all of our users should get the messages...... but unfortunately they do not.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Maybe I was confused. I thought this was the time sequence of events....

1. you posted that some of your users weren't getting the updates
2. I recommended that if you want all your users to get the update immediately that you mark it as critical by setting the 'next use' event in the message.
3. You changed your message to reflect that suggestion

Are you saying that you still have customers who don't see the update - even with that change?

If so, can we download your application to see this behavior? Are you able to reproduce it? Maybe my original suggestion didn't get at the root problem, and we need to dig deeper.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

We have the "next use" event set to TRUE. But still some of our costomers do not see the update.

I am able to reproduce this everytime on one of the machine here in my office. I had also sent our installation project to your support staff (# 1-2055-8722) & (# 1-2054-2201)
0 Kudos