cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Profile info by version

I'm suggesting this blindly, having not checked if this is possible now.

When viewing "default profile" data collected from the Update Service node in InstallShield 10.5, I'd like to be able to view by product and version. For example, I may collect info on version 1 and you may have Windows 98. Then when I release version 2 X years later, you may then have Windows XP, etc. I need to keep a tab on the profile data to target my resources by ensuring the profile data is updated/recorded with each version.
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KellyF
Level 9

The profiles are per product, though you can create your own profiles to manage instead. Two ways come to mind... note: these haven't been completely thought through yet. 🙂

1. The way it is now, no, the change in version would write a new value to the server. However, you could very well write your own profile item, the item name being say "Version1/Win98" and the value being "updated". Your next version could then create a "Version2/WinXP" key with value "updated".

2. Think classic INI files, you could create your own [Version1] section with key OS and "Win98" value. With version 2, you would then create a new [Version2] section with "WinXP" as the value. [Version1] and [Version2] would each be profiles attached to your product.

Without pausing to think it over, I'd go for #2 honestly. At first blush, it makes the most sense and works the way the profiles were designed.

KellyF
0 Kudos