cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexanderRodov
Level 3

Platform Support: Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Update Service 4.5 specifications on InstallShield web site indicate support for older versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux: Advanced Server 2.1 and Fedora Core 2. Is that an outdated document or a technical limitation?

I am interested in deploying ISUS-based solution to Advanced Server V3 and V4 (both on Intel-32, pSeries 64-bit, and zSeries), and to Fedora Core 4 (on Intel-32) among other platforms. What kind of information do you have on ISUS for the platforms listed above?

Additionally, is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0 the only non-Windows hosting platform for Publisher Management Point and Notification Server?

Thank you,
Alex
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KellyF
Level 9

Hello Alex,

The latest version is 4.6, so be sure to check out the docs related to that version....
For the purposes of your question, I'm assuming you're discussing the backend components. The OS revisions listed are ones which we've done extensive testing on and know that the servers install/run on them. Other OS's will most likely work, but are not yet officially supported. For example, I have installed & worked on the servers using Fedora Core 3/4, Ubuntu, and even SuSE 9/10, though in 2 cases I needed to do slight manual configuration. I also caution on the use of the more "experimental" distros as I have had OS updates from those break my local applications. (One example: a kernel update from Fedora caused a segmentation fault in the Sun JVM when running on a dual processor box. So this affected my UpdateService as well as my other java applications.)

I am interested in deploying ISUS-based solution to Advanced Server V3 and V4 (both on Intel-32, pSeries 64-bit, and zSeries), and to Fedora Core 4 (on Intel-32) among other platforms. What kind of information do you have on ISUS for the platforms listed above?

Send a note off to our support staff or product consultants for information about specific platforms. The Advanced Server is a parent of the workstation version, so it may only validation needed. However, I'm not familiar with JVMs which run on the POWER architecture, so that may take a bit longer to verify.

Additionally, is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0 the only non-Windows hosting platform for Publisher Management Point and Notification Server?

With 4.6 we also began supporting Solaris 9 & 10. If there are platforms you still need to have covered, please contact support or submit it via the website feedback mechanism. In doing so, you may be able to have your platforms added for a future release.

Regards,
Kelly

** Note: This post is definitely my own opinion and not that of my employer.
0 Kudos