cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ProductManager
Level 6

No Internet Connection Message - Update Manager says WinINet not connected

I have a client with numerous workstation , only a few have this problem. Update service says no internet connection.

They obviously do, they can surf and such. Its not a network issue, becuase all machines in office are on same subnet, etc..

I used the update manager, that I downloaded from http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/q110835/UpdateManager.zip and on Connectivity Tab the Wininet says installed but under conencted says No. So for some reason Wininet is reported its not on the internet. I have a call in to Support, they are going to get me some details on which fucntions update service uses on Wininet to determine if Internet is present, so once I get that I'll do some furthurre debugging, but wonder if anyone else has had this problem, or knows of any tricks to do to Wininet to get it to do something.

I've checked all connection setting in Tools Options in IE, and nothing in there

Thanks
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I have had the same problem. I even wrote a routine in my code to ping Yahoo! to test for connectivity just prior to testing the Agent's connectivity. Quite often on these trouble computers, the Yahoo! ping returns successful but the Agent returns false to its IsConnected method, so the Agent is saying that the user is not connected to the internet.
0 Kudos
ProductManager
Level 6

In case anyone wanted to know, for future reference and debugging. Update Service uses methods InternetGetConnectedState and RasEnumConnection of Wininet to determine connection state. I just received the info today and I am hopefully going to successfully build some tools/utilities to debug such a problem. If success I'll share with everyone so you can use them if you ever have such a headache, I can't wait to beat this problem.
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

We just started using the Update Service in a big way this week and have ran into this in a number of our remote installations. I would be very interested to hear any findings you come up with on this....
0 Kudos
ProductManager
Level 6

Posting back so others can benefit.

I DID FIX THE PROBLEM. Since I knew what call the update service was using, InternetGetConnectedState, made a quick utility that shows return code and bitflag, I'm attaching it incase anyone else needs it.

Onthe 6 machines that kept saying not connected, I ran the utility and got 0 and 80. Going off the following from wininet:

#define INTERNET_CONNECTION_MODEM 0x01
#define INTERNET_CONNECTION_LAN 0x02
#define INTERNET_CONNECTION_PROXY 0x04
#define INTERNET_CONNECTION_MODEM_BUSY 0x08 /* no longer used */
#define INTERNET_RAS_INSTALLED 0x10
#define INTERNET_CONNECTION_OFFLINE 0x20
#define INTERNET_CONNECTION_CONFIGURED 0x40

I was getting INTERNET_CONNECTION_CONFIGURED | INTERNET_RAS_INSTALLED.

So on a hunch, I imported the 2 reg files to set there value to 0.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"NoNetAutodial"=dword:00000000
"EnableAutodial"=dword:00000000

When I did that I ran my little utility and returned 1 and 18, by getting 1 I knew it was connected now, but to do the hex conversion , 18 was INTERNET_CONNECTION_LAN | INTERNET_RAS_INSTALLED .

Then did check for updates and now thinks has connection and can do updates.

So I guess wininet settings in registry were hosed or wininet was hosed and needed to reset reg settings. I think windows has a bug with autodial, because I was able to take a good pc, and make it not work anymore, then make it work.

Anyways I fixed the clients with reg import and they can check for updates now.
0 Kudos