cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jelion
Level 3

Install resumes on login as different user

After successfully completing an installation, rebooting, logging in and verifying that the product works, upon logging in as a different user the installer starts up again. We believe this is related to the UpdateService.

There is a message in the Event Log:

Event ID: 1004
Source: MsiInstaller
Type: Warning

Detection of product '{5CBD6BDC-7B9F-48FE-973D-292FD6D9215A}', feature 'CPOF_Client_Feature', component '{5CC2D105-DDDD-4EC4-8B74-750194E57B99}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService\' does not exist.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Our installation has the "ALLUSERS" property set to "1". The installer is built with InstallShield X - Premier Edition Version 10.0 Service Pack 1, running on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. The installation was executed on Windows XP Professional SP1.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1) Install product built with Update Service enabled from CD (or "removable media" such as a network share that can be "turned off".). My installation forced me to reboot the machine to complete the installation.
2) Remove the installation media.
3) Log off as 'current' user. Log in as same user, validate that install completed successfully.
4) Log off, log in as different user.

INSTALLSHIELD apparently tries to resume the installation for this user: An Installshield startup dialog appeared, and the message above was noted in the Event Viewer. We did not previously see this problem, and we observe that we have only recently enabled "UpdateService".
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
dlabout
Level 3

We are seeing the same issue here, and noticed that if we remove the updater from the build, it works fine. Did anyone ever get any resolution to this problem?
0 Kudos
carsten
Level 4

Same problem here.
Kind of making it useless, right?

-cpede
0 Kudos
jelion
Level 3

Thank you both for confirming. I also turned off our updater, which "resolved" the problem.

We also concluded that we cannot use this feature. I had hoped that maybe someone from InstallShield would recognize the issue - it doesn't seem terribly difficult to reproduce - and, if there isn't a workaround that we could code into the installer, that it might be fixed in a service pack or in the newer version.

carsten wrote:
Same problem here.
Kind of making it useless, right?

-cpede
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Not to beat the issue, but... did you submit this to our Support staff? This is just a community site where we can assist one another (and where devs like me occasionally pop in if we have a few moments to spare). The http://support.installshield.com site is intended to post bugs directly to the support folks who can follow up and work with it.

KellyF

PS. To me it honestly sounds like a quirk in MSI, but I'm not an install genious, so take it worth a grain of salt.
0 Kudos
jelion
Level 3

Thanks for writing back.

I did try posting to 'mysupport.installshield.com' (is this different?), but apparently my Company didn't approve support when it purchased InstallShield and the problem didn't seem alarming enough to warrant a further look.

I found a handful of references to similar problems; it kind of surprised me that none of the previous mentions elicited any type of response previously, since the impression created is pretty much what I found in this thread: that the Updater feature is simply broken for "ALLUSER" installs!

I realize IS won't send me a new InstallShield after you read my reply, but I hoped the Company might confirm that the behavior does seem to occur for basic Installers in Version X and is either fixed or still occurs in 10.5 (or that it hasn't been able to find a behavior remotely similar in a simple installer with "Upgrade" enabled!)
0 Kudos
dlabout
Level 3

Hi All,
I also had this problem of the Installer re-installing when a user logs in after the product was installed by an admin. I changed all the "ALLUSER" permissions and beat my head against the wall. After all of that I spent a little time on the phone with InstallShield Update Service support. Wouldn't you know it....it is a feature. In the Update Service Merge module is a component called "DummyComp" which adds a registry value for the current logged in user. Since this is a key file if you log in as another user who didn't do the install it will try to fix it for you.

Here is the fix...
On the hard drive under Program Files is the InstallShield X, or 10.5. Inside the InstallShield folder is Objects and the merge module ISUS.msm
Double click on the ISUS.msm file which will bring up InstallShield. Then go to the Components folder under Organization. Inside of the Components you will see the DummyComp component. You can safely remove the component which won't affect the update service and should prevent the re-install issue.
I remove the DummyComp and then saved the original version off for reference.

Good luck all. Hope this helps.
-Doug
0 Kudos
pramodhc9
Level 2

How to turn off the updater through the designer view?I am using Installsheild Version 10.

regards
Pramodh C
0 Kudos